Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cheap GPS

Think it's just a base map which shows Motorways A-road's poi's ect it's not like the fancy Garmins at £350+ why not givethem a phone and see

I've found a Garmin Etrex going pretty cheap and its probably the one I'm going to go for (the extra accuracy of the legend and summit would be nice, but not essential). The only problem is that it's the "camo" version, does that make me waltish? It looks gash and would rather have the bright yellow one for when I lose it :p

crabby said:
Do you know much about GPS?

I'm looking for something cheap, weatherproof and simple to use as a backup when I do my trekking. I'm going back onto Dartmoor soon and having something just to double check my position would be nice.

Also how easy is it to input coordinates? I really have no idea on these things - do you just enter OS map code (TG etc etc) and an 8 fig grid reference? Or is it far more complicated?

Garmin e-trex, piece of pish to work matey, ull get ur 10 fig and obviously use the first three of ur first and the first three of ur second to get ur six fig ( i aint tellin u how to suck eggs) and wen wanting to put a way point in off a map or a route card just mark the way point as eg. "ERVP" and enter ur own co-ordinates.

You get some great deals on E-BAY . I would myself go for a better GPS even if second hand off e-bay than shell out for a geko .Gekos are the very bottom of the pile when it comes to GPS . Of course your call , i guess if its just a back up for your trekking a geko would be fine.

i looked at the gekos and altho cheaper i opted for the E-trex, and its worked for me , one hand can reach all the buttons , and its so easy to work, one menu page follows the others, and with the compass face orientating NESW as u move .....dogs danglies for the money

Got myself an etrex venture cheap off ebay - been playing with it and it'll be useful going up snowdon this weekend - thanks a lot for all the advice.

I have ''upgraded'' from a Garmin12 xl to an Etrex Vista c , its about as good as you can get at the moment . Garmin12xl is still pretty good

Anyone know if the colour sscreen dogswotsits are actually worth it? I have the yellow garmin e-trex right now but dropped it and its got a nice crack across the screen, still works though, its either going to be fabloned or a replacement sought, opinions please.

crabby said:
I've found a Garmin Etrex going pretty cheap and its probably the one I'm going to go for (the extra accuracy of the legend and summit would be nice, but not essential). The only problem is that it's the "camo" version, does that make me waltish? It looks gash and would rather have the bright yellow one for when I lose it :p

My nice dark brown "Summit" is under a hedge on Sennybridge.... walked the route three times and never found it... :cry:

i suppose its all down to what you need the thing for. personally i get the route card, enter me co-odinates, select "go-to" and were off , arrow takes me where i want to go, if u guys need more than this, what sort of stuff are doing? ( not being a to$$er, just intrested )

No worries mate , can use an Etrex vista for arty target (mils bearing) although not much call for Fire missions at the moment . I am an FAC
so it comes in handy and is much quicker than a map, a ruler etc and i
use it from a Snatch .

i struggle to use a map and compass, yea i noa i shud try harder, but the trex does it near enuf all for me, bearings, elevation,what time it is, what time the sun rises, what time the moon comes out and god knows how many routes you can store, just think its my life line really.