Cheap Gaming PC? Under £30 to you

Fair do mate, 8.1/10 isn't bad. Although the fact remains that 19% (+/- a fraction of a percent) of their clients are unhappy with the service.

Looking at the Trustpilot link: the "Great" reviews seem more prone to gushing platitudes, whereas the negative reviews tend to go into specific detail - whilst technical issues are understandable - even forgiveable, to rod off your clients isn't......

My missus manages it, she can do well with a controller, and younger family member manage it

I can't play fps on consoles for toffee though, I guess it's using a mouse and keyboard for decades that's done it, I just don't have to think what I'm doing it's just instinctive
I got my son in to PC gaming, used to have an Xbox 360. After trying some old Halo games he found the controller inaccurate and not as responsive. I think it is more to with different muscular control you have using a whole hand dedicated to 'targeting' control and firing as opposed to a thumb.

I was amazed when I bought my house in North Wales, I'd been used to a Virgin Media connection that rarely dropped below 100meg, but latency was erratic especially in the evenings, probably down to their high contention ratio for domestic users

Now I'm living up a mountain with internet via plain own telegraph cable (admittedly fiber to the exchange though) but my ping is a lot more reliable when we lived in a high speed internet area and gaming is a lot easier, despite my connection being a damn site slower

So connection not only matters, it's quite random in the UK what you end up with
Could be worse. You could have grown up in Kinmel Bay.

Tell me more, I am just building a racing pit in a spare room and then buying a monster rig but I usually sit in another room with the wife, with this active usb and fiber thing I could have the PC in one room and still have 3 monitors and controllers in another?
Unless you get an Nvidia GPU in your rig and an Nvidia Shield as your Android TV box (still most powerful in the market and excellent media player especially for playing full 4k hdr atmos back ups through Kodi) all linked via Ethernet cable both PC and Shield plugged in to your router then you can game that way (4k HDR 60Fps). Only issue I have found is all the GPU is doing is 'filming' the content you are playing then beaming it to the Shield to display on your TV. But I'm becoming more of a snob as there is still definite latency and I have noticed some artifacting (as it sends the pic via H265 format) and occasional sound drop outs. Its done its job but I want a purer best experience. So I bought one of these last week: Amazon product going to my lounge. Put in my keyboard/mouse wifi dongle and I notice the difference WRT no latency and response. Got to get a 'repeater' USB cable as anything over 3m the signal drops out.

I am now looking at getting a HDMI/Fibre optic hybrid cable to reach 20-30m to go straight to my Amp (Game stream by NVidia can only do 5.1, not Atmos for gaming) and have a pure direct pic signal from the PC. Problem is anything over 6m generally drops out and the HDMI/fibre cables are very expensive if you are going to invest in something that has been reviewed to work and be reliable (looking at AVS forum experts): Amazon product

Unless you get an Nvidia GPU in your rig and an Nvidia Shield as your Android TV box (still most powerful in the market and excellent media player especially for playing full 4k hdr atmos back ups through Kodi) all linked via Ethernet cable both PC and Shield plugged in to your router then you can game that way (4k HDR 60Fps). Only issue I have found is all the GPU is doing is 'filming' the content you are playing then beaming it to the Shield to display on your TV. But I'm becoming more of a snob as there is still definite latency and I have noticed some artifacting (as it sends the pic via H265 format) and occasional sound drop outs. Its done its job but I want a purer best experience. So I bought one of these last week: Amazon product going to my lounge. Put in my keyboard/mouse wifi dongle and I notice the difference WRT no latency and response. Got to get a 'repeater' USB cable as anything over 3m the signal drops out.

I am now looking at getting a HDMI/Fibre optic hybrid cable to reach 20-30m to go straight to my Amp (Game stream by NVidia can only do 5.1, not Atmos for gaming) and have a pure direct pic signal from the PC. Problem is anything over 6m generally drops out and the HDMI/fibre cables are very expensive if you are going to invest in something that has been reviewed to work and be reliable (looking at AVS forum experts): Amazon product

Wow, I would thank you but I have no idea what you said. I will just spend $3k on a PC just for my simulator.

Looks like Google is entering the game streaming market in earnest with Stadia, and we're entering the format wars era of game streaming

uddenly the hardware on which you play barely matters, and Stadia will in fact be compatible with your existing USB controller or mouse and keyboard along with Google’s new custom controller for the service. The only thing that matters is whether you have a strong, stable online connection.

Pichai stated that Google’s goal was “building a game platform for everyone,” and Stadia will certainly remove some of the friction that comes from traditional gaming, such as the purchase of expensive equipment or the visual limitations that come with the limited processing power of low-cost tablets or phones.

Google wants us to bring the habits we’ve developed from streaming video into gaming, in other words. Hulu and Netflix don’t sell users proprietary hardware to watch their offerings, and Google’s vision is that gaming should operate in the same basic way; games become something you do through a service using a selection of inexpensive hardware to access the connection to Google’s servers.

That control of everything from how the image is processed to where the streaming data goes could also make multiplayer gaming a much simpler, safer affair. “And yes, no cheating, and no hacking,” Google’s Phil Harrison claimed during the keynote.

But it’s the speed at which you can begin playing that could take the longest to get used to, as well as Google’s ability to leverage YouTube directly by letting fans join streamers instantly. Streaming itself will no longer burden your connection or hardware because Google will be generating the image on its own hardware before sending one stream to the player and another stream to YouTube allowing others to spectate a high-quality stream that doesn’t impact the frame rate of the player themselves. Stadia will also let players create and share their own links that will lead other players to their exact location in a game, allowing other players to pick up the game from that moment.

There are many unknowns here, including how the service will be priced and how many developers will be bringing games to Stadia, but Google has introduced the potential for a huge shift in how we think about, and interact with, our games.

Who knows who will win this, but someone is going to get burnt

Looks like Google is entering the game streaming market in earnest with Stadia, and we're entering the format wars era of game streaming

Who knows who will win this, but someone is going to get burnt
Thing is Nvidia has been doing this for a few years already now but I guess they could not afford the publicity not to mention that outside of PC gaming circles they are not that well known.

Thing is Nvidia has been doing this for a few years already now but I guess they could not afford the publicity not to mention that outside of PC gaming circles they are not that well known.

That and Nvidia were just in the hardware market, as well as AI development, I can't see them interested in having their own gaming platform or game development studio like Google

Still Google has form for marching in a blaze of publicity and then dropping stuff like a hot potato if it doesn't take off, like Google Glass, so who knows...

Geforce Now is pants, subjectively speaking. Way to much lag to be usable for gaming.
Yep. I have found that very much so. A delay of a few split seconds is noticeable just beaming direct via Ethernet from my PC. All it is doing is live streaming technically and there is some latency issues. That's why I've now gone for USB3 repeater extension cable (for KB and Mouse) and looking at fibre optic HDMI direct to TV (bloody expensive for a reliably reviewed and tested cable company).

Edit: Shield is still a fantastic TV box/Media player which is what I originally got it for after binning Virgin TV (rip off for crap ton of crap channels on a crap system).

JNM

War Hero
Capitalisation doesn't make it any more valid you know. I game occasionally but I'd rather read a book. For a sense of perspective:

Internet Speeds by Country - Fastest Internet In The World Map

There we are at 35....notice how many European countries are quicker? The froggies probably CGAF about rosbifs as well.
It’s not about throughput it’s latency. Gaming doesn’t actually take much data to play online (though this takes significantly more than normal) but ping is massively important to online games and if you’re streaming any game.

If only Shadow had cared about their customer service as much as they seemingly do about sexy advertisements.
They're froggies, if you're disrupting their 2 hour lunch they'll treat you like shit...and that's the ones who I've been trying to help...

It’s not about throughput it’s latency. Gaming doesn’t actually take much data to play online (though this takes significantly more than normal) but ping is massively important to online games and if you’re streaming any game.
Again, see Google and Stadia. And again, for hopefully the last time, until you've tried it you're talking about something you have no absolutely experience of.

1553193637122.png

Ever use Citrix in comparison with MS RDS back in the day? Why was Citrix so much better?

Hang on, are you claiming that latency and ping times do not affect the quality of online gaming?

Judging online gaming capability by experience in business applications is not really a sound argument.

Hang on, are you claiming that latency and ping times do not affect the quality of online gaming?
Can you show me where I said that?
Judging online gaming capability by experience in business applications is not really a sound argument.
Judging on the basis of your experience is fine, as long as don't discount that stuff changes.

They're froggies, if you're disrupting their 2 hour lunch they'll treat you like shit...and that's the ones who I've been trying to help...

It goes something like this

Latest Threads