Cheap Gaming PC? Under £30 to you

I'd have had those problems all over their social media feeds faster than you could say "refund".
I'm not one of those people who puts issues on social media, as you end up with far too many half-witted fan-boys or "experts", who always know better - despite not having had the same experiences.

I've tried console gaming. It's utter gash.
Ahh yes, the same tired crap that has been trotted out since the first xbox came out.

A brief history of the death of PC gaming - Incredulous
Not sure about the death of PC gaming. Just look at Steam and it's sales. If anything it has grown bigger than Console gaming, although that is probably more to do with casual and Mid-range power level PC gaming. FPS on PC with Keyboard and Mouse is still the dogs (I know you can do it with consoles but for some reason has not taken off, probably long time console gamers not wishing to try it out and get used to it). Not sure where the evidence lies WRT PC gaming being dead?
As stated, I've always enjoyed PC gaming - going back to 1989(ish), with my old IBM PS/2 and it's 8086 CPU, I've had around 5 different gaming desktops (Trigger's broom upgrades) and 7 or 8 gaming laptops over the last 19 years, in addition, I've also had: PS1, 2, 3 XBOX (original) and 360, prior to getting the ONE X - and up until getting the ONE X, I've always preferred keyboard and mouse. I'm by no means a console fanboy, I've come to the conclusion that I just like being able to buy a game and run it immediately (well after a 80Gb download (GTA: V I'm looking at you....)), and not have to wonder when I'm going to have to blow another several hundred quid on a graphics card. Take Elite: Dangerous for example, my £400 XBox ONE X runs it at 1080p at 60fps and it looks utterly stunning, in comparison my gucci £1,200 laptop can either run it in one or the other (but not both) and I still have to disable some of the effects.

Last edited:
Not sure about the death of PC gaming. Just look at Steam and it's sales. If anything it has grown bigger than Console gaming, although that is probably more to do with casual and Mid-range power level PC gaming. FPS on PC with Keyboard and Mouse is still the dogs (I know you can do it with consoles but for some reason has not taken off, probably long time console gamers not wishing to try it out and get used to it). Not sure where the evidence lies WRT PC gaming being dead?
As I said mate it's only my opinion, I think in future, less strategy games - I'll be buying all other new releases on XBox.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Take Elite: Dangerous for example, my £400 XBox ONE X runs it at 1080p at 60fps and it looks utterly stunning, in comparison my gucci £1,200 laptop can either run it in one or the other (but not both) and I still have to disable some of the effects.
you're always going to struggle with a laptop unless you spend £££££. (not that £1200 isn't, but you'll know what I mean...)

I'm not one of those people who puts issues on social media, as you end up with far too many half-witted fan-boys or "experts", who always know better - despite not having had the same experiences.
I meant highlighting their poor service, rather than asking random people to find out information for you.

you're always going to struggle with a laptop unless you spend £££££. (not that £1200 isn't, but you'll know what I mean...)
Agreed mate, that's sort of the point too, the fun just don't last. I was toying with blowing a considerable sum on a laptop (i9 processor, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD & GTX 1080), and then I thought "you must be f*cking mad, give it 18 months, and you're guaranteed the f*cker will be dragging it's arse on one game or another".

My 13 year old lad half got me into the new XBox by comprehensively kicking my arse on split screen gaming, I was adamant that the little bugger was cheating and am quite competitive, so I think that's what gave me the impetus to give the ONE X a try. As it has subsequently turned out, he wasn't cheating - I'm just shit.

Laptops for gaming? Not really a good move unless you are happy to blow £3000+ and then you will have to upgrade the whole thing if you want a new GPU.

I spent just under £2500 on a good rig desktop in March 2014 and it is still happy to play everything that I have thrown at it, BF1, BF5, Anthem, Division 2, Forged Alliance, Arma 3, Star Citizen.
All at max and all running silky smooth and fast with the rig being super quite thanks to a big case and ultra quite fans. The only upgrade I have made since 2014 is a new graphics card. But that is how it will stay until the next graphics / physics intensive game rocks up and make my rig sweat.

edit: No I don't play BF1, BF5, Anthem, Division 2, they were mistakes / beta's and they suck huge sweaty balls.

I meant highlighting their poor service, rather than asking random people to find out information for you.
Again (for the hard of hearing), you highlight an issue online and are swarmed swarmed by belmers who believe that they know best.....

As stated, I've always enjoyed PC gaming - going back to 1989(ish), with my old IBM PS/2 and it's 8086 CPU, I've had around 5 different gaming desktops (Trigger's broom upgrades) and 7 or 8 gaming laptops over the last 19 years, in addition, I've also had: PS1, 2, 3 XBOX (original) and 360, prior to getting the ONE X - and up until getting the ONE X, I've always preferred keyboard and mouse. I'm by no means a console fanboy, I've come to the conclusion that I just like being able to buy a game and run it immediately (well after a 80Gb download (GTA: V I'm looking at you....)), and not have to wonder when I'm going to have to blow another several hundred quid on a graphics card. Take Elite: Dangerous for example, my £400 XBox ONE X runs it at 1080p at 60fps and it looks utterly stunning, in comparison my gucci £1,200 laptop can either run it in one or the other (but not both) and I still have to disable some of the effects.
That is the issue with PC gaming. On paper it smashes consoles but unless the programmers have taken their time to purposely make the PC game fit for purposes over hundreds if not thousands of differing set ups you generally get diminishing returns the more you spend, and then it can be obsessive trying to keep on the edge of the tech ££££. With a console its just plug and play and easier to programme (stand fast PS3 early years) with them being generic across the board and then learning to push the limits of the hardware. My last console I suppose is the Wii, still use it for family games nights. Before that it was PS1 until I got introduced to PC gaming making the mistake of getting a lap top (before there were gaming laptops).

On paper it smashes consoles but unless the programmers have taken their time to purposely make the PC game fit for purposes over hundreds if not thousands of differing set ups you generally get diminishing returns the more you spend
It's worse than that, increasingly games are targetting console first, and then you get a port back to the PC, complete with the console assumptions, which can make it worse than a badly optimised PC specific game.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
FPS on PC with Keyboard and Mouse is still the dogs (I know you can do it with consoles but for some reason has not taken off, probably long time console gamers not wishing to try it out and get used to it).
it's not taken off because FPS shooters with console controllers are a PITA.

And you say those awful Shadow support staff were rude and unhelpful to you?

I really can't imagine why.
“The prosecution rests m’lud.”

not that open really. when I've asked him about a pretty fundamental issue he's more or less told me to bugger off. which as others have pointed out is a novel way to win sales.
Ole doggers and I aren't exactly bezzers but he's been straightforward. I'd give much the same response, he's looking for freebies nowt else.

I’ve experienced pretty much the same service by a company with much better resources in data transfer etc and it was shit.

And not really comparable. Different media types, different needs etc.
It is really comparable because it was a startup which changed the market. I'm not saying this going to, I am saying that you don't know and are judging a product which you've not used. It's plain and simple English.

it's not taken off because FPS shooters with console controllers are a PITA.
My missus manages it, she can do well with a controller, and younger family member manage it

I can't play fps on consoles for toffee though, I guess it's using a mouse and keyboard for decades that's done it, I just don't have to think what I'm doing it's just instinctive

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
It is really comparable because it was a startup which changed the market. I'm not saying this going to, I am saying that you don't know and are judging a product which you've not used. It's plain and simple English.
playing back media is one thing, it's a passive activity where it doesn't matter how long the time it takes for the information to get to you as long as there's no pauses in the information stream. but playing a game where there is a two way information flow is very different.

playing back media is one thing, it's a passive activity where it doesn't matter how long the time it takes for the information to get to you as long as there's no pauses in the information stream. but playing a game where there is a two way information flow is very different.
It's nothing to do with anything gaming specific or streaming. It's plain simple English, startups are disruptors, some succeed and do so spectacularly and some crash and burn.

I may just know a bit about what happens when two way information fails with complex graphics, as I said earlier our kit uses P5000/P6000 cards. In Z840's or Z8s with 32G ram.

JNM

War Hero
It isn’t comparable though because it’s a completly different sector. Streaming music is just essentially an evolved version of radio where you’re streaming small files that don’t have the quality of experience effected by latency. Streaming a game calls for massive amounts of data to be processed, a 1080p minimum stream to be constant at 60FPS or more and the experience is wrecked by any latency at all.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
It's nothing to do with anything gaming specific or streaming. It's plain simple English, startups are disruptors, some succeed and do so spectacularly and some crash and burn.

I may just know a bit about what happens when two way information fails with complex graphics, as I said earlier our kit uses P5000/P6000 cards. In Z840's or Z8s with 32G ram.
my point is Spotify was far simpler to make work from a technical side. and if it hadn't worked, no one would be using it. this Shadow thing is more complicated and so there's more to go wrong. plus it's a smaller potential market than Spotify. everyone listens to music, not everyone games.