• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Cheap economical run a round ?

Just sold my 1.1l peugeot 106 as quite frankly it was a piece of shit. Looking for a cheap run a round for when I finish catterick but don't really know what's about. Looking for a decent mpg, let's say 40mpg ish.got around £2k to spend. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at ?

My Ford Focus 1.8L Diesel does 47mpg to and from work (40 mile round trip of mixed urban and country roads) and up to 56mpg on longer motorway runs. Its cheap(ish) to run, cheap to inusre and tax and whilst it will never set the world alight it not a hairdresser's car either.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Any small engined diesel should be alright, Fiesta? Go and have a look around a place that sells different brands and have a look. arm yourself with online information as to cost, check out interest rates first if you're getting a loan. Loans from a car salemsan is likely to be more expensive than you'll find online.

I've had a 51 plate Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi for the past three years.

Cost just over 2k when bought with 103k miles on the odo. Does about 60mpg on motorway, 45 -50 around town with a gentle right foot.

Here you go! Cheap to run, two stroke engine, air cooled, wont rust, comes with an extra jerry can, a pick axe to fend off would-be thieves, it has a copula for top cover when going through Liverpool and best of all, you might be able to take it on exercise.... (Might want to get rid of the Balken-kreuz).

Wehrmacht_Trabant_by_SircsyJoe.jpg

My Ford Focus 1.8L Diesel does 47mpg to and from work (40 mile round trip of mixed urban and country roads) and up to 56mpg on longer motorway runs. Its cheap(ish) to run, cheap to inusre and tax and whilst it will never set the world alight it not a hairdresser's car either.
Tried that , insurance want too much , by too much I mean £4000 on a 51 plate focus 1.6.

Just to add I've had my licence a year and a half , 1 yrs NCB. So I'm still "HIGH RISK"

Would like a car with a bit of poke though.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Tried that , insurance want too much , by too much I mean £4000 on a 51 plate focus 1.6.

Just to add I've had my licence a year and a half , 1 yrs NCB. So I'm still "HIGH RISK"

Would like a car with a bit of poke though.
Small turbo diesel like I mentioned Fiesta or similar should do.

Thinking out of the box.... maybe check out the price of a classic mini.

They can be fairly cheap to buy, tax and insure and there's a huge infrastructure out there for spares and repairs, plus a large number of clubs for help and advice.

My wife had one when she was young and she would give my right nut to own another.......

Thinking out of the box.... maybe check out the price of a classic mini.

They can be fairly cheap to buy, tax and insure and there's a huge infrastructure out there for spares and repairs, plus a large number of clubs for help and advice.

My wife had one when she was young and she would give my right nut to own another.......
I was hoping to get away from the days of my car not starting , ( main reason I sold my 106 )

Latest Threads