Cheap climbing gear

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by zippy483, Nov 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Come on all you UEL's/JSMEL's where can I get cheap climbing gear from?

Have just started climbing again after a good few years lay off (wife wanted to conquer her fear of heights so who am I to argue) and need some new gear, we are only climbing indoors at the mo, so don't need racks of nuts, cams and the like, just shoes and harnesses.

Have seen but as yet have had no dealings with them has anybody heard of, or used them (also do diving and sailing equipment) any feedback positive or negative gratefully received.

2. Check your service climbing association, I know mine has arranged some substancial discounts.
  3. Try The AMA at they have a few people they get great discounts from, I think you will need to be a member.

By the way the UEL qual is no longer valid!
  4. It's no longer issued (and the TOs have changed in line with the civvy award) - BUT those (old fogeys :) ) who got UEL(S) can still lead summer mountaineering groups (1:6) and the qual is still recognised as the prerequisite entry to JSMEL(S).

For cheap gear I agree that needlesports is pretty good. But also try HB and the Outdoor Shop, both of which have some great discounts for squaddies.

5. As a follow up to my first post finally ordered some gear from sportextreme saved about £50 on cheapest uk prices I could find.

Placed ordrer UPS tracking number within the hour delivered from Denmark in 5 days including the weekend would thoroughly recommend these people from my as yet limited experience.

6. both 'outdoors' and 'snow and rock' will give you 10% discount with your MOD90.

you can allways be tax exempt ie in Cyprus, then all you need to do is contact the company and get them to e-mail you a tax exemp form, get this signed by your line manager, send it back then Bob's your new best friend, 10% MOD discount and then 17.5% tax off!

happy climbing