Chaz Hodge RIP

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Philistine
I bet you are all Aida or Pirates of Penzance yer posh bugger !!
Posh but clueless about music if that's the case. I've met the type many times.

People miss the point about Chas and Dave. They were never going to be at the forefront of pop/new music - they were a novelty act (remember those?) who entertained a lot of people. They were undoubtedly more talented than their duo incarnation suggested, but they had a winning fomula.

Another legend a great musician gone. RIP. I'm sure he will be watching this with amusement:

Inspired! Brought a smile to my face on a wet, miserable Sunday morning.

Ah... a traditional Christmas old time cockney knees-up pre-recorded in July in a studio set in Elstree made to look like a pub and populated with extras.
Like Jules’ hooter feckin nanny!

You'll never get rich working as a session muso unless you're working flat out. You get the Musicians' Union rate for the job and that's it. They made a fortune as Chas & Dave, especially as they wrote most of the stuff so kept the royalties as well.

I recognise that electric piano hook that starts about half way through the Labi Siffre thing. It was sampled by Eminem in 'My Name Is....'.

At my age there is no way I should know that
And Chas Hodges spent most of his session career playing bass for people like Ritchie Blackmore and Jerry Lee Lewis. Talented and modest chap!

Great musicians. Great chemistry between them. Dave has seen his share of troubles. Didn't know Chas had been 'ill'.

They had a sort of underground cool. They got booked to play all kinds of contrary places. Student bars. Punk gigs. Weird.

Old mate of mine who was 'cooler than thou' was almost obsessed with them. He got me to find out where they were playing next and to buy tickets for him and a few others. Funnily enough it was in Edmonton (North of Tottenham) at the community hall. I was living there at the time (not in the community hall). The tickets might have been sold out or the gig canceled, I can't remember now.

They had a very solid and genuine following. They probably found it hard going home and having an early night after playing the kind of personal gigs they did. Might have liked a drink or two.

This is one of the best things they did:

COME ON YOU YIDS!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you ever laid in bed with a bangin in yer head?

I certainly laid in bed with this forgotten gem going round my head on a constant loop last night.

Cheers Chas. Ya cnut. :)

Did you used to be a Punk? You kept that quiet.
Yes, hes very reticent about his love of that particular music genre.

Am I correct in stating, Punks were those awkward, unhygienic wankers that thought they were handy but actually weren't?

Tiffany & Wilson Phillips rock!

Yes, hes very reticent about his love of that particular music genre.

Am I correct in stating, Punks were those awkward, unhygienic ******* that thought they were handy but actually weren't?

Tiffany & Wilson Phillips rock!
At the risk of derailing the thread, I think you're correct. They were the ones who used to sniff glue in bus stops, poke holes in their noses with safety pins and got a good leathering off the Casuals at every opportunity.

So, only Dave now. Not all Pearly Kings and Queens and Knees Up Mother Brown...bloody good musician and also a restorer of travellers horsedrawn caravans. Good bloke by all accounts...

I always associate this one with my ex.

Used to see them in the Cock Hotel pub in East ham in the very early seventies, always a great knees up

This is on my driving tunes playlist in the car

one of their best songs in my opinion