Chav cav??? why?

It was The People's Cavalry in my day. Simply because they were not Cavalry. That's all. And now it rhymes - nice.

Although someone more knowledgeable that me will probably have correct answer...

Generally speaking, because there is a (not entirely unjustified) impression at Sandhurst that you can only join a cavalry regiment if you are from the 'right sort' of background. The only exception to this is the RTR who seem to take people based on merit alone.

For more information on this, just search for it in the forums. There are plenty of threads about what pre-requisites you do/don't need to have to Commission into the various parts of the RAC.

Obviously this is only relevant for to those wishing to be Officers, as far as I'm aware this doesn't affect Troopers.

Hello all I was just wondering why does the RTR have the nickname chav cav? cheers
FEAR NAUGHT
Because it's easier than saying 'Best dam Regiment to have ever graced the RAC' of course - however Men in Black also has a nice ring to it. Oh and before all the dashing cavalry types start with their 300 years of history and tradition, we can prove ours as it's all on video - Happy New to all RAC brethren

Because it's easier than saying 'Best dam Regiment to have ever graced the RAC' of course - however Men in Black also has a nice ring to it. Oh and before all the dashing cavalry types start with their 300 years of history and tradition, we can prove ours as it's all on video - Happy New to all RAC brethren
Well said BTW I posted some pics of our old home on the Self taken Photo Thread if you´d like to have a gander

Done both RTR and Cav as REME attached and can honestly say that there was little between them in tankying...only in attitude. I found the cav (qrl) a breath of fresh air after the haggis hussars(4)...although to be fair it was full of dour scots pissed off at being disbanded.

sgnsty's description is the closest.

It used to be (I emphasise: used to be) that to have a realistic chance of joining a cavalry regiment as an officer, you needed to have gone to "the right school" and have enough additional income to be able to afford horses and other supposed trappings of "the high life". The RTR was less like this (although not completely unlike). This lead to cavalry officers jokingly nicknaming the RTR "the people's cavalry" or more recently "the chav cav" as a reference to the supposedly less refined breeding of its officers.

In short the nicknames refer to officers and not soldiers and is just a bit of an in-joke in the RAC (of which both the RTR and the cavalry regiments, less HCAV, are a part).

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

B

bokkatankie

sgnsty's description is the closest.

It used to be (I emphasise: used to be) that to have a realistic chance of joining a cavalry regiment as an officer, you needed to have gone to "the right school" and have enough additional income to be able to afford horses and other supposed trappings of "the high life". The RTR was less like this (although not completely unlike). This lead to cavalry officers jokingly nicknaming the RTR "the people's cavalry" or more recently "the chav cav" as a reference to the supposedly less refined breeding of its officers.

In short the nicknames refer to officers and not soldiers and is just a bit of an in-joke in the RAC (of which both the RTR and the cavalry regiments, less HCAV, are a part).

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
RTR Cash Bar was another, oddly the 14/20th. were often referred to as the peoples cav. The 16/5 L apart from just being vulgar were also viewed as not quite the right type of chap by other Cav regiments.

The Blues and Jews rather says it all and the 47 dragon gardens (Yorkshires Heaviest Cavalry Regiment) decided that they were so good they stopped recruiting officers.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
RTR - to show the world what a professional armoured formation looks like.
Cavalry - to reduce delinquency levels amongst the children of the landed gentry who failed to pass the entrance exam to agricultural college.

Latest Threads