Chatham for posting

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by devexwarrior, Apr 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies, Gents and others

I am posted to Chatham in the summer and would welcome your thoughts on the location and the area. Please bear in mind that I am not an Engineer, am well past the alcopop years and will be living in the officers'mess, so "Try the piss drinking contest in the Happy Slapper on a thursday" is unlikely to be of the best help - those days are long gone (sheds a small tear of nostalgia).

Ta and it's over to you, Arrse
  2. I've heard the urine drinking contest in the Happy Slapper on a Thursday is good. If not the local library provides great entertainment for those who wear chinos and checked shirts.
  3. Posted to Chatham??

Sorry to hear that mate, as they say in China 'Un-f*cking-wucky!' :lol:
  4. Chatham, Located in the Garden of England, Brompton is where your heading to I guess? Not to much in the local area to be honest, Lots of council estates and drinking holes, But there is some nice parts of Kent within easy reach, All depends what sort of things you are after, but there is cinemas and big retail centres near by. PM me if you have any further questions.
  5. well it's certainly livelier than your current location.

i spent two years there myself. prepare yourself for some wonderful memories. i look back with fondness on the memory of seeing a mother call out to her little 5 year old cherub in chatham high street:

absolutely shit hole mostly. the only thing worse than chatham is gillingham. in two years of orderly sergeant 2 or 3 times a month, i only had one duty when none of the lads were either arrested or hospitalised.

rochester is okay - but seriously, mate... who have you upset?!? :D

but the mess is quite grand - the sergeants mess used to have a property committee of 6, because there is so much loot. lord knows what the officers have.

oh i do know one thing they have. when the israelis were over for a course in '99, they walked into the officers mess to be confronted with an enormous swastika flag, liberated from berlin in '45. comedy gold. they were wheeled into another room in a swift amendment to the plan. whereupon aramark produced the buffet - including sausage rolls and ham sandwiches.

i don't think they liked us after that :D
  6. That would have been one of the many 14 / 15 year old mothers dressed in chav suits with 10" round ear rings and dripping in cheap gold then?

And I can confirm Chatham and Gillingham are definately sh!t holes full of pikeys. Very sociable people though, always sat chatting on the grass in front of the dole office with a four pack.
  7. And the dole office is just across the road from the AFCIO where I took the shilling. The whole area is a complete toilet unless you happen to be a young squaddie on payday when the abundance of pubs and general lack of decorum makes it paradise on earth...
  8. some nice parts of kent close nearby?? yes the A2 north to Essex!!
  9. are you fluent in Polish/Urdu/Lithuanian/Portuguese/Romanian/Slovak ????

it will help with the locals.
  10. East(ish) - Canterbury, Faversham, Sandwich, Rye all within driving distance. West(ish) - London etc also Ebbsfleet/Bluewater for Channel Tunnel trains (or Ashford). Maidstone is just down the road and 36 have only recently returned. You'll get very bored with the A2/M2, the M20 is a better drive.

The Sapper Museum is housed there (in the old SME). I visited recently and, to be frank, was saddened to see that it is in some decay. It really does need sprucing up in a big way. That said, there's huge amounts of stuff of interest.

Ramsgate etc quite pretty, nice harbours and reasonable sailing. The Medway has a fierce tide - we had trouble getting the Heavy Ferry back once, I thought our progress on full throttle and unloaded was about 0.25 knots. The paperwork would have been fantastic.

Once through the Tunnel (or off the ferry from Dover) Le Touquet is about an hour and twenty on a good day. North French coast is interesting, decent places to eat etc. Roads all good and largely uncluttered, watch out for Les Flics with the speed cameras.

That you are not a Sapper is nothing to be too ashamed of. It can happen to the very best of people...
  11. Posted to Chatham??? Feck me!!! Who did you upset? 8O
  12. At the risk of garnering laughter from various sources I actually asked for it for all sorts of reasons.
  13. you poor soul.
  14. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................................................................. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  15. Nowt wrong with Chatham..erm, except the locals.