Chat.

I know, I know.

It's shit. Not even a mod could work it out, nor TL.

Chaps, please sort chat out.

We need to find out who is in there, who is a dick, who needs genuine advice and who can **** off. Help please. We want ole chat back.

Once upon a time, I click a link that took me to the chat room and it worked. It hasn't worked for me since...

I suspect I was too hardcore and was blocked :)

Just tried it and it worked after a fashion. Took about 6 minutes from typing for the words to start appearing! weird!

Just tried it and it worked after a fashion. Took about 6 minutes from typing for the words to start appearing! weird!
Did the meanie pick on you?

Did the meanie pick on you?

What?

Are you speaking in veiled speech?

What I said was that the Chat function of the website doesn't work properly. At first I was typing and nothing was happening. My words just did not appear anywhere. Then, after about 6 minutes according to the times on the left, the words appeared. After that there was still a delay (like a long pause) between typing and the words being seen. Using it became tedious and so it wasn't worth bothering with. Particularly as what little chat was happening, was also not worth bothering with. Hence my conculsion that the chat function is not really worth the time and effort, leastways in my 'umble opinion.

What?

Are you speaking in veiled speech?

What I said was that the Chat function of the website doesn't work properly. At first I was typing and nothing was happening. My words just did not appear anywhere. Then, after about 6 minutes according to the times on the left, the words appeared. After that there was still a delay (like a long pause) between typing and the words being seen. Using it became tedious and so it wasn't worth bothering with. Particularly as what little chat was happening, was also not worth bothering with. Hence my conculsion that the chat function is not really worth the time and effort, leastways in my 'umble opinion.

[video=youtube;EvMdvZ-vyhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvMdvZ-vyhM[/video]
It is in mine.

You type with your head dobber anyway. xxx

coherent description of problem needed.
1. It's all upside down again.
2. You can't see who is in there.
3. There are no "dings" to tell you if someone types something.
4. It's crap.
5. That's why no-one goes in there anymore.

Sparky, I know your phone number, so don't large it.

I could go on, but it's freezing and I need to get myself ready to beat the crap out of some arrsers tomorrow.

(That means go back to bed and bloody well stay there).

would of course have been far better when I asked for feedback about the new chat system when I was about to buy it. I didn't get much from you I seem to remember - sweet FA in fact. Does that annoy me?Actually yes, as you're the most vocal whinger.

would of course have been far better when I asked for feedback about the new chat system when I was about to buy it. I didn't get much from you I seem to remember - sweet FA in fact. Does that annoy me. Actually yes, as your the most vocal whinger.
Has your account been hacked?

I don't live on the bloody internet, so must have missed your post. My apologies.

I shall now officially stand down from being "Official Whinger" about Chat.

My office - Monday morning for remeediuel spellung lesions.

Ok, issues arising from in-service use:

1. There is a subtle difference between the old "who is in chat", and "active chat users" in the current client.

The old system listed the current chat rooms and the users logged. By default, and most common, this was just naafi_bar and x users. It didn't matter if a user was vocal or lurked, all users were listed.

The new client only lists 'active' chat users, with 'active' determined by an arbitrary time since last posting ~ 90seconds? It is possible for chat to appear empty if no user types for this period. One can enter chat - see "there are no active users" and think it is empty.

2. Chat does not update. I think this is linked to whether one is 'active'.

Join chat, hopefully when there is an active conversation. Enter a message. One receives updates. Post nothing else, and shortly after the conversation appears to cease, as though every other user has ceased chatting. After a few minutes, enter a comment, and - depending on the volume of messages and/or time elapsed - one will see the recent messages. However...

3. Chat History is limited. It seems chat history is limited to the last 20 (without looking) comments. So if more than 20 comments were made since one's last post, tough. Especially if one was 'otherwise engaged'. And worse...

4. The chat window is smaller than the number of history lines, so one has to scroll up. Not a problem... except the window handler is aggressive, and will pull it down, even when no comments have been made - the auto update is doing this. Which leads to

5. Chat is not real time? It appears that the client polls the server every second for new messages, rather than the server sends the updates. Fine.. except it makes reading messages that have scrolled off-window difficult.

5. And thinking of updates... why do I have to wait 3 seconds between comments? It makes it difficult to enter a long message! Or to send multiple insults ^H^H^H^H replies ;-)

6. Chat is not immediate. There is often a delay between typing a message, and seeing it appear on screen

7. No chat rooms? Part of the fun of old chat was creating a new room, either with an insulting message for another user, or as a retreat from trolls/dull users/idiots, with or without a password. Is this functionality still there?

From a neutral perspective, the most critical are points 1 and 2: visually, chat appears dead to users, whether it is or is not. Some maybe limitations of the client, some can be mitigated by settings?

You wouldn't believe how much of a pain in the ARRSE, chat has been for us over the years and we've tried loads of different versions. They normally manage to combine being incredibly insecure with resource hogging and have often been responsible for the problems we have with our servers.

When we tried this version, there was quite a long discussion (here) where I thought we'd explained some of the compromises we'd had to make.

Anyway, just to let you know I've been fiddling round with some of the settings and managed to sort a few things out:

• Newest post is now at the top
  • New chat rooms can now be created & people invited to join

1. There is a subtle difference between the old "who is in chat", and "active chat users" in the current client.

The old system listed the current chat rooms and the users logged. By default, and most common, this was just naafi_bar and x users. It didn't matter if a user was vocal or lurked, all users were listed.

The new client only lists 'active' chat users, with 'active' determined by an arbitrary time since last posting ~ 90seconds? It is possible for chat to appear empty if no user types for this period. One can enter chat - see "there are no active users" and think it is empty.
This is accurate although the setting is 180 secs. What do you think it should be?

2. Chat does not update. I think this is linked to whether one is 'active'.

Join chat, hopefully when there is an active conversation. Enter a message. One receives updates. Post nothing else, and shortly after the conversation appears to cease, as though every other user has ceased chatting. After a few minutes, enter a comment, and - depending on the volume of messages and/or time elapsed - one will see the recent messages. However...
Spot on, and tied to the above. You only receive updates whilst active.

Does the active time-out value affect server loading in any way, ie sessions and session memory? If not, then why not set it to very high value such as 3600 seconds (one hour). If it doesn't affect server load, then it doesn't hurt to have a high value.

Which would address, or at least go a long way towards band-ading, both points.

Are there variables to control

client window (number of lines)
client history (number of previous posts)
min post value (currently 3 seconds)
poll interval

Does the active time-out value affect server loading in any way, ie sessions and session memory? If not, then why not set it to very high value such as 3600 seconds (one hour). If it doesn't affect server load, then it doesn't hurt to have a high value.
It will do although to what extent we're not sure

Are there variables to control

client window (number of lines)
client history (number of previous posts)
min post value (currently 3 seconds)
poll interval
Yes although I think making the latest posts appear at the top has sorted quite a few issues!