Bug Chat misbehaving

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sat in Pointless chat room bashing out answers. Suddenly it stops accepting text. Close and reopen tab, it works for one message, then fails again. Started about 5min ago.

Amazon Fire 7 Fire OS (=Android) 5.something. Chrome.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Update. On the built-in Silk browser I subsequently got a brief message.

The server did not respond in time.

Wonder if that's the root of the problem?

Anyone else having issues?

I just posted two test messages, seems OK from here.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm prepared to believe what I was seeing was the chat server glitching just when I was hammering chat. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
FYI it's slow again today. So slow I cannot bash out pointless answers. Goatman has told me it's slow for him on Windows/IE.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Since I opened the post, the problem has got worse, not better.

I'll start posting messages, all good. After a few minutes, typing away looking at the tablet keyboard, I look up and find that although the speelchucker (that's an entirely unrelated problem) is recognising what I'm typing, nothing is appearing in the text box.

To get it working again, I need to reopen Chat from the sidebar and refresh the page. Both, not one or other. I am not a small systems expert. I'm guessing there is a type buffer (I remember on one of my dalliances into small systems, there was a type ahead buffer, but bolleaux if I can remember what, where or why) that's overloading.

If I had to guess (and I am) the type buffer needs enlarging. No don't ask me, I haven't a clue.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the report. Most recent issues must be related to our server issues. We'll have a look.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There is none I am on my phone. The site looks different on this thing..

Think I will keep out of it.. went to same room still cannot post. Some things are not ment to be. Thanks anyway

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I meant, press the Enter key on your keyboard. There is none in the Chat window.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You need to be hammering it when it's busy. It's only busy during Pointless. The old chat didn't show this, so it's an issue with this software.

That said, I just about cope in between restarting chat and refreshing the page, so I expect effort to be expended where the priority is higher.