Chartered Managers

From civvy street/the real world, is the CMgr process rewarded and/or valued? Is it worth me working towards? Having had a quick look at the CMI website, I suspect I can tick all the boxes, but I’m not sure about the CMI in and of itself, and it’s reputation in the real world.

ugly

LE
Honestly never heard of it, APMI yes. but even that has limited value.

I do wonder the same myself, even if I now have fCMgr at the end of my name. I’m not sure how I got it, as I was an ACMI until 2 weeks ago and then received an unexpected email saying I’d been upgraded due to my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From civvy street/the real world, is the CMgr process rewarded and/or valued? Is it worth me working towards? Having had a quick look at the CMI website, I suspect I can tick all the boxes, but I’m not sure about the CMI in and of itself, and it’s reputation in the real world.
Certainly enables spotting of ex-forces on Linked In, eg Dave Smith, CMgr, MCMI.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have FCMI. I'll probably work on CMgr as a personal goal, but, tbh, I think it's more for bragging rights :)

Yep, you'll see them on there with a list of low-quality post nominals that is longer than than Homer's Odyssey.

Usually "seeking new opportunities".
The RAF seem to have got into the habit of listing all of their post nominals. Thankfully, the Army don't bother...

Toppet

War Hero
Thankfully, the Army don't bother...
I think some of my Army connections on LinkedIn may have embraced the Joint Approach a little too much.

I saw one the other day that was "MSyl MCMI MInstLM". If this is anyone on this site, have a word with yourself.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Snake oil if you ask me.

As an Incorporated Engineer (IEng MIET) I can just pay the price and am automatically eligible to be a Chartered Manager.

It’s a good bit of CPD and not a bad stepping stone to become a Chartered Engineer,
which is my eventual goal.

But....

I went to a CMI conference a few years back and it just seemed to be loads of fairly low achieving coppers and NHS employees.

It is basically the mark of a mediocre public sector career. All that bollocks about it being a vocational MBA is utter rubbish. Especially when they’re just giving it away to people like me.

Personally I’m gonna do it, but only because it requires absolutely zero effort on my part, my company will pay for it and it’ll look good on my CEng application.

I wouldn’t bother otherwise.

ugly

LE
Yep, you'll see them on there with a list of low-quality post nominals that is longer than than Homer's Odyssey.

Usually "seeking new opportunities".
Code for found out to be a bluffing cnut?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
knowledge is power bro. all memberships of a professional body help on a c.v i even got to be a fellow of mine.
the contats were better than the cia and I am sureit assisted me with my career. Any company that is not pleased with your membership is one which you dont wish to work for .

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bump.

Just received an email saying my application was successful and I am now a Chartered Manager.

Not sure it’s gonna help me career wise, but if it helps me become a Chartered Engineer (which definitely will help me career wise), then it’s all good.

Ravers IEng MIET CMgr MCMI

Latest Threads