Chartered Management Institute (CMI)

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by BadManners, Mar 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chartered Management Institute: As posted in the Training Wing but with no replies, thought it was better placed here for a responce.

I am about to embark on level 3 of the award.
    I would be interested to hear views on the CM3 from people that have either completed or are still working toward the qualification.
    Many thanks.
    BM

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I was a bit peeved that as a SSGT with 20 years in I was rated at the same level as a 2Lt fresh from the factory, funny old world isnt it :lol:

3. I took the CMI Cert Managment and NVQ 4 Managment a couple of years ago in the good old bad old EFP days. I'm not sure if this is the same qualification that you are doing, but I used the NVQ level 4 to get a City & Guilds Licentiateship in Managment (No work required. Even though there was a Forces 'route' I was allowed the Licentiateship on the back of having an NVQ 4). I contacted a bloke at Retrospective Qualifications (based in Shipton Bellinger down by Bulford) and he told me what other qualifications I could get, so as well as the Licentiateship, I submitted a document (provided by him), detailing my experience and quals and as a result, I also got a Diploma in Administrative Management.

Whatever course you are doing, it will lead to other qualifications, some of which you don't even have to study for as long as your OC confirms that you are doing the job.

I'll dig out a phone number for you if you want.

4. I'll be using the course I'm on now to get further qualifications through CMI, as well as another one from the ILM (Institute of Leadership Management) and IHM (Institute of Health Managemant) . also looking at doing a foundation degree if i get the time, its not like I do anything at work.

5. Take advantage of it mate and get what you can. You'd be surprised at how many just don't bother.

6. Especially when there is funding available through the system without costing me anything but time and effort.
    (only trouble is I'm incredibly lazy) however the course I'm on now has kick started me back into learning, instead of lecturing.

7. Excellent advice from AB. Build yourself a portfolio of recognised civilian qualifications; they will not all be relevent to every job you apply for when you eventually leave the services, but they will allow you to tailor your CV for a role. By starting with the level 3 award it also allows you to prove your educational progression to future employers; as you can complete the DM4 Diploma in management and gain MCMI once you have completed the WO CLM. Just look carefully at each qualification, some are very inexpensive and require little additional work to give you a qualification which is identical to one that may take a year and hundreds of pounds to complete! Your educational centre can also provide excellent advice on these matters.

8. I'm doing my CMI at the mo, it's not that hard, just a case of trying to think like a civvy manager. If you are quite interested in management and HR in general contact the CIPD. They have various courses pitched at different levels. My wife is doing hers at the mo and has nearly completed it. If you do the 2 year part time course you get full CIPD, if you put in another year with involves a few residentials and a disertation you can get your masters degree. The full CIPD qualification is quite difficult as it aimed at post grad and my wife seems to spend most of her time looking up quotes to back up different theories. You also have the fun of dealing with academics who have never actually working in the industry. My wife was doing a mock interview in front of her class and the lecturer started saying you shouldn't do this, you should do that. When my wife asked the lecturer how many interviews she had conducted she replied "none, but I've read all the theory on it!" My wife has spent 10 years working in HR and has conducted a lot of interviews so she was well impressed with that answer.

9. All very true but quite a few civdiv HR departments know how these qualifications are awarded and tend to dismiss them as of any value. Shame and wrong but they own the bat and the ball.

10. Have a gander at

www.rasuk.org

I've dealt with him as I said before and he's a nice bloke. He doesn't shove you towards anything and everything just to make money out of you, so no need to go badge collecting. He'll tell you exactly what you need or should be looking at. I was surprised at the way he cut my 'wish list' down to just 2 qualifications.

Any WO1s out there are eligible for qualifications such as the City and Guilds Graduateship in Management . Just provide the evidence asked for and on you go.

This is worth telling your junior about, get them started on something early so that they can build up credit towards bigger things by the time they get into the Mess.

11. Many thanks Biscuits,

BM

12. Cracking advice AB.

13. You'd also be surprised at how many 'managers' in civ div have no management quals - plenty of technical, but zero management qualifications. It doesn't matter how easy they are to come by when in the mob, do it because that could be the differentiator when it comes to comparing you with A N Other.

14. You'd be surprised how many have no managment ability never mind qualification. Management Diplomas and Certificates are evidence that you undetsand and have achieved a level of education in management, whilst NVQa are evidence that you can actually do the job, as you have to provide the evidence in the first place in order to achieve the qualification. I was amazed at how many Seniors and WOs in my last lot sneered at NVQs. Most of them didn't have 2 O levels to rub together. Mind you, they were the worst managers as a well.

15. on the same thread have a look at City & Guilds website click on Senior Awards and Roberts yr mums brother. Part with some cash if you have won the promotion lottery and you too could pad out yr CV with some nice sounding certificates.

Who apart from the Chefs have really got their act together with "mapping" across Mil Quals to Civilian equivalents? I'm not a chef but do like interesting civilian Quals....................................