Charlie Owen, Bravo Jubilee, Horses Arrse and Foxtrot Oscar

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Civvy_Shot, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bought Foxtrot Oscar on a whim in my local hyper-megamart and it is superb.

The theme is policing the old fashioned way - somewhere between Life on Mars and the Tom Sharpe South African Police books.

My thoughts were...

1. "You've bought the second book first you tw@t".

2. "Go out and buy the first one now. Right now>" and

3. Mr Owen, if not an arrser, certainly should be.

Plus the Grauniad review said 'Foul-mouthed, scatological, amusing and appalling in equal measure' so I'd get hold of a copy right now. The book, not the paper, of course.

I still can't get the following bit out of my brain.. (badly paraphrased, I'm afraid)

Chief Inspector (on the verge of a nervous breakdown anyway) is the recipient of a Thunderflash in the toilet cubicle jape.

A sympathetic soul sends him home. He gets to his car, to find that a couple of stray dogs have been locked in, with 4 bars of Ex-Lax chocolate. As they escape, he is savagely bitten.

He drives the sh!te-mobile to the local hospital, and asks politely to be voluntarily admitted to the mentalist unit...

As he is snuggling down in his secure bed (after sedation), he hears a noise... and see two PCs dressed as giant bananas waving at him from outside the window....

Sheer genius.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'll have to get that then.

3. Cracking book, read in one sitting laughing my head off at several points.
    Looking for Horses arse too.

4. Just read Horse's Arrse. Pretty good.

5. Horses Arse is excellent. Without giving too much away there is a demented constable trying to work his ticket (the engineer of the thunderflash attack I expect) who fancies himself as an SAS sniper. So he goes a bit off the deep end, orders an image intensifier sight to go on his air rifle, and uses it on various pikeys who have invaded the local common. In the event its a couple of teenage car theves then end up with various parts of their ears missing.

When someone compares it to life on mars thats exactly what it is. I can only hope someone commisions it as a TV series. Wasnt aware the follow up was out, so thanks for the pointer.

6. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Sorry, bringing up an old thread. But he third book in the series is just about to come out (Bravo Jubilee). This is surely going to be as good as the first 2.

The funniest bit of foxtrot Oscar is at court when the copper says, vot ist you name?

7. Has anybody read Bravo Jubilee yet? I read the first two and found them hugely entertaining. "Physcho" Pearce AKA "The Handstead Khazi Bomber" is an absolute legend! Beer, women, punch-ups, explosives, firearms and loads of "stunts" and that's just the Rozzers.

8. Just about finished his third book Bravo Jubilee.
    Not the sort of stuff I usually read, but they have had me in fits of laughter.

Anyone else read them?

9. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

10. Yes Bought Bravo jubilee yesterday and put it down once to o for a piss, brilliant reads got all three.

11. There's a new one? Loved Horses Arrse and Foxtrot Oscar. Made me chuckle. I'll have to have a shufti for it next time i'm out looking for me monthly reading matter. Has it got the same characters in it?

12. Yes Mate, same characters carrys on from the other 2.

13. Lovely. Cheers TT.