Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A reminder for those whose memories have faded and the nightmares diminished

A BBC Report on Indian troops on patrol in DRC.

It should be noted that the Indian CG man has it a little easier, as the licensed Indian LWL version is 50% the weight of the original!
  2. Still in widespread service in Oz with new, ferocious ammo. Even the PRAC round can destroy the average bunker!
  3. Half the weight of ours?

Pah! Lightweight!!

I'll see myself out...
  4. Ahhhh happy days of.... "TANK ACTION" screamed in your lug hole...or trying to give that TP on your skillys course at Warminster when you needed arms like Garth to hold the bloody thing up!!!
  5. 'Fond' memories as a sprog of dragging this and two concrete filled drill rounds around the more God-forsaken training areas in the 80's.

Never even got to fire the sub-calibre trainer let alone the real thing!

Kids today don't know they're born!
  6. Nicknamed "Mons Meg" by those who had to carry it :(
  7. Not as trendy without the canvas basque on!
  8. I like it! :D

Hated carrying the thing though. Balancing it between top of the bergan and your neck was the easiest way to do it, but even that sucked.
  9. The Late Sgt Laba Laba tortured me with one of those F****s, was any one stupid enough, to fire it standing up, as I did, bringing much hilarity to the Irish Rangers heavy weapons boys, as I crumpled to the deck feeling that I had just been kicked in the balls by the blast
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Which brings us to one of the army's greatest mysteries. Why do they always pick the smallest guys to carry the heaviest kit i.e. Charlie, G, jimpy, radios & batteries?

Every fecking time it is the wee guy that gets dicked i.e. me usually :(
  11. When I joined my regt in 1982, straight from the factory and pre tp leaders´course, I was given Surveillance Troop for three months. On my first exercise, being very keen, I decided to deploy the ZB298 and Charlie G in the dismounted roles. Horror of horrors, this kit never left its carefully preserved state wrapped in hessian on top of the waggons lest we´d have to clean it. So we´re in a sort of trench (RAC fashion) me and the trooper who joined the same day as I did (the rest of the troop are completely disinterested having a brew round the back of the waggon). "TANK ACTION" yells I. Tpr S****s is next to me with the CG at the shoulder, keen as mustard, but pointing the venturi at the approaching enemy. That´s when I realised I was fighting a lost cause.

He went on to a long and successful career in the SAS, so I like to think that I contributed something to his military education. Grant, if you´re reading this, cheers!
  12. As Spike Milligan says in his war diaries "Gnr 'Flash' Gordon climbed the telegraph poles to run the cables. He didn't want to, but he was the smallest and we made him" (or words to that effect...)
  13. Maybe because that stuff won't have so far to fall if you trip, they'd hate to see the equipment being damaged.
  14. In the 2 years before I became regular it was either the Charlie G or the GPMG (again, smallest guy in our TA Unit).

Mind you I did get to fire it. :)

Then one live firing weekend I finally got to carry the SLR, only to find they had elected me to be No2 on the GPMG! :x

15. I do not recognise this "always" thing Auld Yin - I spent my early military career being looked up and down by - invariably - smaller NCOs who would then hand me a radio, a CG or anything particularly heavy to carry on the grounds I was big. The implication was that I was also strong - which if i wasn't to start with, I became! I still hate jerry cans!