Charley's War

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by convoy_cock, Nov 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happened on an article in a magazine last week that said that Charley's War, the famous strip from Battle was being released as a hardback.

For anyone who doesn't remember it, it was all about a lad joining up in the First World War and was very 'warts and all' for a boys comic.

Just had a look on Amazon and there it was

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1840236272/?tag=armrumser-21

It's not released until Nov 26, but it's my first Christmas present to myself this year.

2. I remember it well. The artwork was excellent and the storyline better still. Charley Bourne was remembering his service in the Great War (the Somme as a 16 year old) whilst being evacuated from Dunkirk. I remember some of the characters - Lt. Snell, Mad Mick, Smith 70. Will certainly obtain a copy.

3. Thanks very much for this. Even today I'm as impressed by the sheer quality of Charley's War - the script, artwork and characterisation - as I was when I was 8 years old! Did you know there is a website dedicated to the strip: http://charleyswar.tripod.com.

4. Absolutly brilliant strip, artwork that has never been bettered in British comics IMHO, got me into the history of WW1. :D

5. Straight on the Xmas prezzy list. Will they do one for Rogue Trooper as well?

6. You can get Rouge Trooper collections from places like Forbidden Planet. Ref Charley's War - fantastic stuff. Currently enjoying a rerun in the Judge Dredd Megazine (Monthly). Required reading in Chez Foz

7. i was a bit of a Battle/Action fan way back then and still have some of the comics somewhere at my folks...happened to find this excellent site for anyone who use to look forward to seeing characters every week such as Johnny Red,Panzer G man,Major Easy,the Rat Pack and of course...Charley's War

http://fanboy.frothersunite.com/battle.html

well worth a browse!

8. Speaking of 80's comics, what one was the Black Major in??

9. don't seem to remember that one...have you had a look through the link i posted?

10. I was having a brain fart sorry-he was part of Action Force!

[​IMG]

11. excellent link - brings back many memories & subjects me to more comments of "sad" from the missus...

lancslad

12. Ahh Action Force!

Originally normal military figures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one proves that the New World Order were planning to invade Iraq as far back as the early 80s! Note the "SA80" style rifle.

[​IMG]

Then they were "rebranded".

The baddies, led by Baron Ironblood, all looked like Germans dressed in red!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This fellow was probably a deep sea diver until the sales analysts decided to rebrand him as an alien!

[​IMG]

13. Charlie's War is amazing; fantastic attention to detail and a very powerful scipt; my favourite sequence was when Charlie has to dig his way out of the bunker while his mates buy him time by walking up the stairs to be shot by the Germans. They draw lots to chose who has to die next until Bourne digs his ay out and shoots the Kruats in the back. Very, very dark, especially for it's time.

14. My favourite had to be Major Eazy and the Rat Pack. The Turk! Pte. Dancer! Gott in Himmel!

V!

15. the memories are flooding back , fighting mann, the sarge , jonny red , lord peter flint and union jack jackson! i have a whole pile of those comics all in good nick - any takers?- anyone remember those pocket sized "commando" books?