Charles Taylor Jailed...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tuffy52, May 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Charles McArthur Ghankay Taylor ex Dictator of Liberia has been jailed for 50yrs,he will serve his time in a British Prison....
  2. As a recognised idiot, can someone explain the rationale of my taxes paying to hold this man please?
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Anybody know why Britain has to pay for his upkeep?
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Didnt the dutch look after megrahi? Quid pro quo perhaps. I imagine taylor will develop some kind of terminal cancer shortly.

On a related note, i think the british intervention in Sierra Leone was one of the UK's finest moments, post WW2.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Just spotted in the FT

"The sentence is likely to be served in a British jail, as the UK is the only country that has indicated it is willing to house Mr Taylor."

How lovely of our Government to offer.
  6. It must be because we've got loads of room in our prisons.
  7. That means he will be released after 18 months.
  8. Presumably his extended family will arrive claiming they are refugees and we will have to give them a BFO council house etc., etc?
  9. You have the hideous gargoyle and former Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett MP to thank for this, she offered the services of the British prisons to the ICC following his capture.
  10. Flat screen telly,Xbox,Phone Cards,Free Medical Treatment,Safety and Security,Family visits paid for by HMG,the guy has got it made....

11. Corrected that for you!
  12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Um, shouldn't there be a series of windowless 6 x 6 cells in a cellar under The Hague for this?

Food optional and a hole in one corner emptying directly onto the bed of the inmate below... Mr Taylor could occupy one of the rooms on the lower levels...
  13. Great more money pissed away soon as he get hear it will be the cry of human rights etc and out in a week.
  14. I rather suspect that he has [and by extension, his family] has millions stashed away somewhere in the world banking system.
  15. Billions apparently. At least if we've got him banged up in Belmarsh theres some chance of us getting a sniff of it.