Charles sends condolences to family of Dignitas Suiciders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's an awfully decent thing of Prince Charles to do, and I commend him for it. I also think that this couple had every right to end their lives as they saw fit, and together. Moving stuff.

Should we deny the right of people in these circumstances to choose the time and manner of their deaths? Not in my opinion we shouldn't.

It's all in a word - 'Dignity'

2. I am delighted that he has tacitly added his support to the right of people to choose to die in circumstances like this if they see fit.

You are absolutely bang-on with your last comment.
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

spot on - if you are in your right mind enough to be able to say 'I have no quality of life and I want out' then what business is it of anyone elses to say you have to hang around and suffer? or then tries to punish anyone they deem to have 'assisted' you?

good on charles.
  4. I fully agree that Charles is quite right to lend his voice to this debate. On the whole I fully support the argument that people should have the right to die as they choose when they have been diagnosed with terminal condiditons. The problem comes when we look at those that have helped them etc. This is a fine line between assisting a suicide and murder/manslaugher. What happens if the person changes their mind at the very last second but cannot communicate that fact very well due to their condition? I think that the law is about right at the moment where the police will investigate and draw their own conclusions.
  5. I think there are other factors that would cause more serious problems. If voluntary euthanasia is introduced, I have absolutely no doubt that we'd see people in hospitals and care homes being killed to free up beds and to save the cost of expensive treatment.

We'd also see families euthanasing granny to grab her estate. 'It's what she would have wanted' - who knows if she's in no fit state to make rational decisions.

Voluntary euthanasia is the thin end of a very nasty wedge. At the other end lies Chauchesku's Romania where there was no medical treatment other than pain killers for the over 60s and Nazi Germany where euthanasia wasn't voluntary if the state decided you weren't a model of Aryan perfection.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I agree with the conscious decision to commit suicide - all the more so for those requesting assistance.

This couple, in the light of consciousness, not addled, incoherent, in a coma, took the carefully thought-out decision to end their lives together as what was left of it was going to be miserable, painful, short-lived and not in the least bit worth it for either of them.

For them, this was the right decision, and they had every right to take it.

As for people who are not able to make that choice through lack of awareness, consciousness, mental or emotional faculty, then that is not a decision for them to make, nor anyone else. For such people, suicide cannot be an option.
  7. I have lost my father to cancer within the last month and his suffering in the terminal phase of this awful illness was terrible.He would have opted for euthanasia if the option was available.

However,if euthanasia is ever legalised in Britain,I can see some point in the future where it is "encouraged" in the NHS to free up resources.A slippery slope.
  8. As long as the "assistance" doesn't involve the actual act of pushing the button I can't see a problem.

Wheeling in a "death device", putting the button in the persons hand or rigging up some other way of activation is an act of mercy in many cases.

I wouldn't want to allow anyone to kill someone on their behalf though... for the reasons noted above.
  9. A dignity we afford our pets , but not humans . Who amongst us wouldn't shoot a mate rather than watch them burn to death trapped in a burning tank or plane ? Good on Charles