Charles Haughey Dies

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by india-juliet, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The former Irish prime minister Charles Haughey has died at his Dublin home at the age of 80 after a long illness.

Premier for three separate terms between 1979 and 1992, he was widely considered to be the most controversial Irish politician of his generation.

He will be sadly missed, certainly by the Irish Revenue Commission !!!

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

There's a shame.

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I certainly won't miss the old crook.

4. Just looking for my dancing shoes.

5. Actually historically when Haughey was a junior minister, he introduced free home fuel and free nationwide travel for OAP's.

Its a shame no government in the UK has ever done that..

6. Actually historically, I was looking for my dancing shoes.

But now I've found them.

7. Compared to Eamon De Valera, Charlie was not that bad!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'd say they are about equal.

Dead.

9. Now your being silly :eek:

10. And from the grave he's still fleecing us with a State Funeral!!!

11. Just pointing that he never has been or obviously never will be on my christmas card list.

The news has totally made my day.

12. In 1970/71 Haughey was involved with a cabal within Fianna Fáil which sought to illegally import arms for the IRA (an act at best seditious, and at worst treasonous), and he advocated military intervention in Northern Ireland (ironic considering his party's inbuilt opposition to the Defence Forces).

See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_Crisis

He was a political opportunist of the first order, who despite his frequent claims to being a Republican, was first and foremost a Haugheyite; he was not above aping the very Anglo-Irish gentry he and his fellow Fianna Fáil 'men of no property' purported to hate. He also tacitly approved of the Argentine invasion of the Falklands (but then, having burnt a Union Jack raised by Trinity students on VE Day 1945, this was only par for the course). In the 1970s and 80s, when the Republic was hemorrhaging people and jobs, he and his cronies were living the high life, whilst his collusion with certain businessmen allowed a great deal of capital to escape tax - and therefore further weaken the economy. The revisionist blather about how he laid the groundwork for the Celtic Tiger will no doubt reach a crescendo as his state funeral nears. The best response I have heard to this sort of thinking is that one doesn't thank someone who has just robbed and beaten you senseless for belatedly calling an ambulance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Haughey

13. I think in fairness to Charlie, he was a modern day patriot, despite his own hunger for money and greatness. In the context of Irish Republicanism he wasn't all that bad.

14. There's no chance that He'll be gving the money back then

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I thought he'd died years ago?

[​IMG]

Why yes, that is my coat....

• Funny Funny x 1