Charity Fraud.

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Yes_Sir!, Jul 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An internet site I know has a banner on their home page (Help for Heros) saying that any donation to the site and we (the site) will pass on 20% of the donation or subscription to Help for Heros.

I beleive this not to be the case and not only are the punters getting ripped off beleiving they are doing some good, BUT using a charity under false pretences is lower than a low thing.

Does anyone know who I can drop a line to and see if this site is pocketing the money or indeed donating the funds?

2. Let's have a link to the site then.
  3. I understand why you might not want to name the site just yet. I would suggest that you contact H4H and see if they have an arrangement in place.
  4. Charities Commission would be a good place to start perhaps?
  5. If what you say is true then it's not just low down but also an offence under the theft act. In fact pretty much like the sort of example you'd find in Blackstones'.
  6. If you entertain any reasonable grounds for suspecting the bona fides of the proprietors, a suggested course of action may be for you to articulate your concern in correspondence to 'Help The Heroes' informing them that they are the objects of the beneficence of the website in question. This is usually sufficient to prompt a letter from the former to the latter expressing gratitude for their public gesture of support and thanking them in advance for their expected donations.

This is generally sufficient to concentrate the mind of the donor on the potential liability for a false statement, particularly one made so very publicly.

The potential consequences of a statement of this kind being false are extremely dire.

Liability may accrue to the individual(s) under section 2 Fraud Act 2006, which may attract under section 1(3) thereof a penalty, on summary conviction a sentence of a term of imprisonment not exceeding 12 months, a fine or both, or, on indictment to a term not exceeding 10 years, a fine or both.

Moreover, they may be subject to a forfeiture order in respect of any profits made resulting directly or indirectly from such statements.

In addition, those who make such statements in the course of a business, and who attract criminal liability, inevitably face further administrative sanctions imposed upon them by the OFT such as, for example, having their consumer credit licence suspended, or not renewed or having it stripped altogether, effectively preventing the individual(s) concerned from ever running a business.

Convictions for any kind of fraud carry the mark of Cain. They tend to leave the individual permanently unemployable in any reputable professional capacity.
  7. So if I made them (H4H) aware of what I think is happening, I presume they would contact the site and see whats going on!! Then if they wanted to they can nail the owner of the site for theft (for want of a better word)!

At his point its only suspect, though I do have a strong arguement as to why I think this all to be true!

8. The internet is replete with copious examples of charity scams of one form or another investigated by both police and trading standards.

If H4H are aware of someone collecting on their behalf, or purporting to do so, they are in a much better position to alert the appropriate agencies if, for example, no donation is forthcoming or they have other grounds for suspecting fraud. The proprietors of the site in question may well be known to police or their local authority trading standards.

On the other hand, the website proprietors may well be genuine.

False charities are generally easy to discover. Criminals purporting to collect on their behalf are less easy to spot. Genuine charities are registered with the Charity Commission and are issued with a unique serial number displayed on their literature. This will enable any member of the public to search the Charity Commission database on the latter's website which contains the name and address of the charity, it's proprietors and their audited accounts. Criminals who purport to collect for charities are much harder to discover but they are generally caught out when they have operated for some time and are reported to the Police, often by the accountants of the charities they purport to collect for.
  9. Are you talking about Help for Heroes.....or Help for Heros.

Help for Heros are a charity to help re-home ex racing horses.

Or was it a typo?

10. BUGGER! I've just sent for my Help For Heros charity wristband! 8O (in a rather fetching shade of brown)

Do you think they'll let me wear it in C95?
  11. Of course! It's brown and will compliment the G10 watch nicely :)
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Or the sh1t you'll be in when the Razman catches you with it on! :twisted:
  13. But that would be a jealousy issue, buy him one and you could both prance around the square together hand in hand.