Charity Expedition to raise money for PTSD

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Rommel0949, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I am involved in planning and organising an expedition to raise money for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) for service personnel. I am helping Veterans International Aid (VIA) to organise the expedition which is going to be a 12 person team of ex-service personnel with a support element walking from the western coast of Australia across the Outback Way onto the eastern coast of Australia.

The distance is going to be 5003 kms (3109 miles) from start to finish.

I am now looking for sponsorship from as many of you guys as possible. Each person on the expedition is required to raise a minimum of £5,000 prior to starting the walk and I'm trying to get a start on this target as early as possible, so that I can concentrate on the sourcing of equipment.

So please give what you can no matter what it is.

My fundraising page is Virgin Money Giving | Fundraising | Walk of Discovery 2014's fundraising page so please visit my page and help me acheive the target and more so I can do my bit to help our boys and girls suffering with mental health issues as a result of the battlefield.

Thank you all in advance for any help you may give me

Gav Preston
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I can't work out from your post or your links who will receive the cash from this event.
    Is it Veterans International Aid (VIA) or is it another charity i.e. Combat Stress?
  3. Hi Gav,

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but as I nearly got “conned” recently by someone seeking sponsorship I would like to confirm something? Could you confirm that the whole £5K raised is going to the appropriate charity or will that include costs and expenses?

Cheers, Uglee
  4. Hi oldbaldy and ugleebugga, sorry for any confusion. Olbaldy VIA is the collecting charity which is a uk registered charity and has been formed by 2 ex Royal Engineers and they are still running the whole show. VIa are currently on there 3 walk this year from Lands End to dover. The John O'Gaunts to Lands End was done in spring/summer and the 3 peaks a coupls of weeks ago.

VIA raise charity by adventure as there moto states. The volunteers who are involved in raising the money are themselves PTSD sufferers and its another way to raise funds for there own cause.

Please look at the VIA website link I have attached to clear up anything with regards to the charity and the cause.

Ugleebugga, there is going to be some initial expense for the expedition, but this will be in the means of sponsorship by businesses and companies rather than raise charity. With nearly 4 years to plan for and as I actually live in Australia now, its down to me to source equipment etc from here. I am also a patrolman in the Pilbara Regt and they are showing early signs of assisting so will greatly reduce any expenses we may have. There is more than enough time for each individual involved to negotiate sponsorship through equipment with companies like trekking firms outdoor clothing who will like the lime light when they are getting the advertisement.

I hope this answers your queries and I'm not here to rip anyone off. I still maintain a close tie with my Regiment, The Royal Dragoon Guards, who are currently in Afghanistan and who have lost 4 so far on this tour. There are also a high number of injuries and people close to me and who I have served with will need the money we intend to raise.

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Sorry, you still have explained who gets the money raised. & I read the website before I posted my query.
  6. No problems, thought you might have seen it, what happens is VIA raises the money as well as receives contributions. VIA then help with the PTSD sufferers confidence and as the funds come in put those that fall into the criteria of PTSD courses that will help them with future employment. Although Combat Stress is the main charity for PTSD, many of the people VIA help have been through that system already and it hasn't worked for them and has become more of a respite.

VIA do not provide treatment but work on building confidence and self esteem on adventurous events, this helps those who have been through treatment or for those who have not it helps them take the step forward to receive treatment.

Veterans International Aid - Latest VIA News

This is another website which may help

If you do have any concerns with this then Billy MacLeod is quite happy to answer you questions he is one of the founders and still manages the Charity.