Charities you won't give money to?

jim30

LE
Inspired by a couple of charity mong threads here, I thought it might be interesting to see which charities ARRSE members refuse to give their hard earned shekels to and why?

For me there are four charities I would not give money to under any circumstances -

NSPCC - They big up their work, make out they are heros and unfortunately hand off most responsibility for dealing with the problem to Social Services. Heard too many horror stories of how they won't get involved to help children, instead telling the on-call Emergency Duty Team to deal with it.

Red Cross - Sent a donation during Bosnia, cost of donation and then some spent demanding more money in turn. Fuck knows how we helped Bosnia.

RSPCA - Demand money, yet when I contacted them a few years ago to report an animal in distress, they weren't interested despite animal clearly being in pain/distress. Then having told me to piss off, tried to get me to give them a donation!

Help For Heros - I know they were founded with good intent, but i think they are now too big, too unaccountable and I am dubious as to what all the money gets spent on. I happily give to other service charities (particularly St Dunstans and RNRMC), but don't give, or support, people raising money for H4H anymore.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
HMRC :cool:

Bris

LE
Any charities to do with obesity.

Nowadays I restrict it to the poppy appeal, and whatever's at the Tesco till when I get my change (copper coins only, mind).

Agreed with the RSPCA. My bugbear is Children in Need. Not so much the charity itself, but the 'enforced' giving via harridans dressed (highly inappropriately) as schoolgirls waving a bucket under your nose at work with "it's for the kiddies, come on, give generously!"

Designed to embarrass you into forking out and leading to social ostracisation if you don't as some sort of child-hating skinflint.

I don't give to any charity that operates, primarily, for the benefits of Africans. All my life (and that's a good few years now) the begging bowl has been out for starving babies in Africa.

Help For Heros - I know they were founded with good intent, but i think they are now too big, too unaccountable and I am dubious as to what all the money gets spent on. I happily give to other service charities (particularly St Dunstans and RNRMC), but don't give, or support, people raising money for H4H anymore.
You could always email Tedworth house and find out what they do. Or are you "dubious" because a friend of a cousin whose mate knows someone who worked there, once made a negative comment about them?

IIRC, H4H distributes a fair chunk of its income to other charities?

The question should be "what charity will you give to?".

Personally I don't give to any bar RBL and a cancer one (forgot which one).

I certainly will not give anything to those c***s who do a parachute jump or any other costly "experience" they are doing for charity.

X59

LE
I found an enamel poppy on the train years ago.

It's saved me a fortune since.

I certainly will not give anything to those c***s who do a parachute jump or any other costly "experience" they are doing for charity.
I agree with that. It's more about them feeling good about themselves than anything else.

I gave a donation and all of my 'advice' (gleaned from dropping my cousin's Action Man down the stairwell as a kid) to a young lady doing one of those jumps.

I thought it was worth a tenner as a potential investment in carnal knowledge. Needless to say, it was a poor investment. :(

Agree absolutely with @jim30 about the NSPCC and RSPCA
Both of them are charities but set themselves up as almost governmental bodies as judge and jury, final arbiters of guilt.

The NSPCC are major contributors to this hysterical climate where we are asked to believe that almost every child is a victim of "child abuse" and are often the major instigators of families being broken up, go to them for help or advice and all that will happen is that your kids will be taken away.

The RSPCA are just a political pressure group - I too reported a case to them once - they weren't actually interested : for the record - a builder in our street was planning to kill a hive of wild bees RSPCA didn't want to know " not our reponsibility" didn't have any interest or information in telling me who would want to know, and then , as Jim30 said, started asking me if I would like to make a donation.

Sorry, but I only take from charity now.

But please remember, these free cars are not cheap, please give generously, especially as I'm going for a jag F Pace next year.

Latest Threads