Charities: Tail Wagging the Dog

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, Aug 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do they exist to provide high salaries for the Executives or is there a real benefit in what they do?

Exclusive: Aid organisations risk 'bringing charities into disrepute' over pay, says watchdog - Telegraph

When a charity raises say £20 Million and has £18 Million in operating costs are they not defeating the object?

Granted as in this example if they did not exist then the charity in question would be £2Million down, but it seems like it's own cottage industry to me, simply exists to provide a conduit for large pay deals for the executives.

I suspect this is why politicians (of all parties) are so determined to keep the Foreign Aid Budget going.

Lots of their old mates run "charities" which employ themselves, the wife, and the son, daughter, niece etc.

After their own salaries are paid, they set up foreign trip jollies where said niece and son go hiking across Africa wearing their charity branded T-shirts, sponsored by yet more UK people, all to set up a water pump in a village, that would have cost just a few quid to install. Instead it costs us all millions.

Then there is this...

Charities may use public donations to plug pension black holes - Telegraph

A grand plan to use donations to plug Pension scheme black holes and to use to the charity donations to do so.

Win Win all round for the charities.

No wonder they all need those heart string pulling TV ads to keep the revenue up..

Other than the RBL (who to an extent are also guilty of this) poppy appeal and other selected Mil charities I don't bother any more simply because of this.

Having done voluntary work for the RBL some years ago I do know that all monies donated to the Poppy Appeal are ring fenced and not spent on administration. However that donated in legacies unless specifically requested to go to the poppy appeal as I understand it may be.

• Like Like x 4
  2. This is hardly news though is it? It has been going on for years and years.

3. Using donations to plug pension deficits are a relatively recent development.

Must admit reading the comments after both those Telgrapgh Articles I have a better understanding of how the Foreign Aid budget works and why there is no appetite to cut it where most everything else if fair game.

Anyway the more publicity the scam gets the further the donations will fall forcing these so called charities who only exist at the behest of the public into reform.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I find these 'begging' adverts on the TV absolutely scandalous - portraying starving / abused kids to tug at the heart strings - knowing fine well that the people who fall for this scam will be those that can least afford it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

One thing I find interest about those ads, they ask for 'just £3 a week' for a dog
    but
    'just £2 a week' for a child.

And the reason it seems to be set low is so they have your name on a database & you'll be inundated with calls at ungodly hours to ask for more & more & more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. At one stage it was reported that the guide dog charity was giving some employees interest free loans, so they seemed to have cash to spare.

Cathod(Sp) pays their CEO circa £85,000 which seems a reasonable rate.

7. Cafod get a mention here.Fake Charities

• Like Like x 1
  8. From the Telegraph article..

Market rate? This is the problem- these people have bought into the idea that they should be operating as business's- and as business's their core function is to compete with other charities for funding- so success becomes measured in terms of how much money is brought in.

Actually helping people has become a form of corporate window dressing- part of the marketing strategy that keeps those donations rolling in- but the benchmark for the CEO is not I suspect the success of the aid- it's the total of the donations.

• Like Like x 5
  9. I also wonder how many of these have that role as the only job?

10. And every time I see such ads I check the charity commission website and find they've often £100's of millions in the bank. Some spend half their earnings on advertising.

• Like Like x 2
  11. We live and learn.

It's a bit like the film 'Erin Bronkovich'; the law firm did get massive damages for environmental damages, but a sizeable percentage went on admin costs. I believe that later the evidence was not quite as clear cut as Hollywood would have us believe.

12. Service charities are sometimes just as bad. When many moons ago I ran a marathon for BLESMA, I was subsequently bombarded with expensive glossy literature. What a waste.

13. What I find very distasteful are the bods on the high-street who beg for the larger charities; no longer satisfied with a one off donation they insist on signing you up for a monthly direct debit? If offered a single donation they look disgruntled and move on to the next sap. The business of charity is quite underhand.

14. The Chuggers (Charity Muggers) as a Big Issue seller mate of mine calls them. Pain in the arse posh students usually. I usually listen politely til they finish their spiel before wandering away laughing.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead