Charging USB Devices

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by phil37, Mar 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bearing in mind that transferring data from/to a USB slot on MOD computers is only available with special, issued memory sticks, why is it now an offence to charge mp3 players/cameras/etc from the USB slot? Also, BFBS claim that anyone caught will have their device confiscated - isn't that theft?

2. I guess if you break standing orders, they can do what they want. We all know the Army has its own rules and laws, and it's tough shit if you break them and get your goods taken!

3. Or just be much more tactful in order not to get caught...

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

would it be the security implications? most devices with any kind of memory can be used as bulk storage devices.

5. You could have downloaded an mp3 track which will play fine, but have a nasty little virus hidden inside it. That could then load it self on to the pc you are charging from. My little 4gb Archos mp3 player uses the same usb cable to transfer data and to charge as well.

I'm a bit of a biff on pcs, but that was what we were told at work.

6. As already said, it could be used to download information or upload viruses, however, there are available on the market, plugs that have a USB socket on that fit into a mains socket.

7. Charge your USB items from either a socket or your own laptop.

Simples.

For USB chargers see Mains Charger for any USB Device

Just spotted this. World Travel Adapter with USB I have the non-USB version of this item and it is jolly good. It is fused for protection and has the ability to plug every sort of plug in to it, and it can plug in to every socket (for mains). No transfomer cabability though (except the USB adaptor).

8. Read your Security Operating Procedures (SyOPs). You will have signed them, physically or electronically, before you were granted access to the system. If not your Admins are going to be having a chat with the ITSO.

iPod/cameras are still USB storage devices so irrespective of 'just charging' or not they are still prohibited.

As for the theft, nope. You will find something in SyOPs about them being confiscated if found attached. Mine went a little further and added the caveat 'will be removed and may be disposed of IAW with HMG instructions for a system operating at (insert PM here)'.
    I found a large wooden mallet vs an illegal USB device was quite satisfying.

IT Security. Stopping you doing what you want to do with the issued hardware. Not your personal PC/Laptop, but your issued equipment.

9. If MDP were really bored ........When electricity is used without due authority, or dishonestly wasted of diverted you should charge the offence of abstracting electricity contrary to section 13 Theft Act 1968 .

10. There was a dit out about a month or more ago. Connect any USB device to a MoD computer without authority, and it will be confiscated. What happens next is up to you. It can be wiped clean at your expense (this is a lot more than just deleting everything, and will prove very expensive) and returned to you, or you can agree to forfeit it and it will be destroyed. If there are personal files of a sentimental nature or valuable nature, you can (at a cost to you) have these files preserved before the thing is trashed either by wiping or smashing. So, no, it's not theft.

11. As soon as you plug a USB device in to a computer that device becomes the same security level as the computer, so if you were to use a ms laptop in theatre like people have, the device becomes secret. Then you end up in the poo. Get the royal signals det to brief your unit on IT security well worth it and quite scary.

12. Yes, it is, if there is dishonesty and an intention to permanantly deprive you of your property. If such confiscation is officially sanctioned it may, in addition, amount to a breach of Article 1 Protocol 1 guaranteeing the peaceful enjoyment of possessions within section 1(1)(b), section 6(1) and Part II Schedule 1 Human Rights Act 1998.

However, there is an element of ex turpi causa non oritur actio which may affect civil recovery in the tort of conversion, since in charging your equipment in this way you may well face a criminal charge of abstracting electricity contrary to section 13 Theft Act 1968, an offence carrying a maximum penalty not exceeding five years imprisonment as well as a service disciplinary charge of disobedience to the appropiate standing order prohibiing such an activity.

13. Didn't Bradley Manning plug his "MP3 player" into his computer to download the Wikileaks files?

14. Quite right, Manning said he wanted to listen to music as he worked.

USB devices can be a problem even if not used by a traitor. A few years ago in the US Walmart was selling a lot of digital picture frames made in China. Each frame would install a virus on any Windows computer that would "call home" to an IP address in a block assigned to the Chinese military. I fully understand why there are rules against doing this. Too bad Manning's supervisors did not enforce the rules.

15. Buy your own electricity you tight git!

Try something like this Image(s) for Vivitar mini/micro usb AC/DC power charger - Tesco.Direct