Charging phones on the move

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by genesis, Nov 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does any one know any reliable and tested means of charging the phone up without using a car charger when out and about, I have seen a few " emergency chargers" knocking about but are they any good?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. I've been using a solar charger with good effect this year. Haven't a clue where it came from as Mrs Dummy bought it, sorry.

3. I have used solar chargers. I can't remember the exact one but Power Monkey is a good brand. I paid £70 for one that had a built in battery to store a charge, double solar panel, USB charging socket and adapter lead so you can charge the battery from the mains in a few hours, or took two full days of sunlight. About the size of a small pencil case. Can fully charge an iPhone from flat. I'll try and dig out the name. Used it on a remote, self sufficient four week expedition with no problems.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. Search for Power Monkey. They are brilliant bits of kit.

5. I've just a got car charger for going abroad (will be moving around a bit for a week), are you not happy with yours? I've read a couple of mobile forums (searching for info I cam across them) that said about some the newer phone batteries not only last longer, but charge faster as a well. I've got a new 2450mah one going from Hong Kong as I was guessing the charge time needed in the car is a bit more then 30 minutes!

6. I had a charger that worked using AAA batteries, came in handy on the fitter truck where I had an unlimited supply of batteries to go through. :)

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

8. When I was spewing. There was electrickery, you just didn't know how it worked.

I've got a USB thingy that charges my phone from my lappy when it's naughty.

9. I've got one that is USB-MicroUSB and an adapter which plugs into a car socket. Not sure if it's the adapter, but it charges at about 1% every 5 mins!

10. Another vote for Power Monkey, also on the Gadget Show this week they had a couple of billy cans with usb sockets to charge up your goodies in the ulu. Don't ask me how it works i wasn't in the REME, mind you doubt they would know either!!

11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I did know how it bloody worked...I'd just forgot my mains charger. and someone ELSE forgot their laptop. ;)