Charges

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Chuzu, Aug 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is there a time limit a charge can be made after an offence?

ive been a bad boy but its been quite a few weeks since the incident had been reported yet ive heard nothing have/could i have got away with it?

2. No, but nice try......

3. Whilst being unaware how long after you can be charged, it is extremly bad man management to not be told the outcome very soon. It is best practice to deal with cases very quickly, unless you have been a very very naughty boy, or girl. But if the badness warrents something worse, you shoulf still be told whats happening to keep you informed.

4. lolololololololololololololololol etc etc

good one mate :D

Unfortunatley, as we do not live in the US of A, there is no "statute of limitations" and your naughtiness and evilness will be hanging over you like the Sword of Damocles. :D

5. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

28 days banned from Arrse? Or is that considered against your human rights? :twisted: :lol: :D

6. X-Inf

Mind you, this is a very good idea of yours to broadcast the fact that you have not been dragged by the goolies in front of your OC/CO. :wink: Every Sgt Major looking in on this will be racking his brains to try and remember who has been forgotten. :twisted:

Maybe you will not be the only one remembered.

Still, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Best of luck

7. It could be that your unit is waiting for an RMP or Police report - they usually take ages. Another possibility is that legal advice has been sought.

Most likely though is that you have been really bad and it is taking this long to type out the charge sheets!

8. You may have a defence if it is more than 6 years (Limitation Act 1980 - I think).

If it is a disproportionate amount of time, then you could plea mitigation for the length of time you have had to wait before fate arrives.

The Rule of Law: A person must be brought before an independant tribunal within a reasonable time. - A.V. Dicey.

What reasonable means will depend on what you have done withing the overarching framework of natural justice.

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Despite having been caught red-handed, (or perhaps red-knuckled might be a better word !) and putting me hands up to it saying, "It's a fair cop guv, you got me bang to rights ain't no mistake" I still had to wait over three months on the latest occasion. There were no civvies involved and no damage to property, so either they just let me stew for the hell of it or they're fcuking incompetent.

Whatever it is Chuzu, you're still in line for a shafting !

Still, it's all character building stuff, etc, etc......

10. its nothing that serious the offence is defintiely just a regimental issue

11. X-Inf

[quote="Chuzu
    its nothing that serious the offence is defintiely just a regimental issue[/quote]

So it was you with the Regimental Goat :twisted:

12. It is the goat I feel sorry for. What amazes me is that he grassed on you!

13. as far as i am aware if you have been told u will face disciplinary action your OC has 30 days in which to serve the charge on you ie issue you with a copy of all evidence/statements against you a copy of rights of a soldier etc if you have not been served these yet and it is more than 30 days since the offence was commited you may be in luck. anyone else confirm this!!!!

14. in the commanders guide it gives as "guidance" that it should take up to 30 days. but it depends on how long they take to put the evidence together, ie for late on parade it could be ready that afternoon - for the alleged matter with the regimental goat getting the statement out of billy is a bit tricky!! - and anyway the sib would get involved.

it is an abuse of process for the matter to be delayed - a person should not be kept in a state of uncertainty. if you have a defence, getting the evidence may lost if the delay in charging has prejudiced you.

pm me if you want some advice

15. As for the charge, i know when i was clapped in irons so to speak, and no nothing to do with animals, that it actually followed units with me, i was told at the time that as long as they had warned you for orders within 48 hours then it was down to the discration of the CO as and when he desides to have a bad day as to whne i was dragged up to accept the punishment