Character in a book with the surname shortt

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by TurtleHead, Dec 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TurtleHead

TurtleHead Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Hi All,
    just reading a book by stephen Leather called hard landing, to my surprise a character described as a shady ex-special forces type with a handle bar moustache has been called in from a job in the ukraine teaching SWAT teams, he goes by the name jimbo shortt.

To my amusement i immediately thought of ARRSE, i have recently read (for about the 4th time) the ARRSEPEDIA entries about the characters namesake and always find it amusing, it this not a bit of a coincidence?

just in case nobody gives a shite ive called a taxi and am just getting my coat:pl:

2. Yeah I've read the book as well and wondered if the author reads arrse and was having a dig

3. TurtleHead

I havent got any further past his character inroduction yet so hopefully the author depicts him as a complete throbber

4. TurtleHead

Thanks Joe, glad i'm not the only one to notice the coincidence

5. I'm reading a series of Stephen Leather books, all to do with an ex trooper called 'Spider' Shepherd, jimbo Shortt appears in several of them though not a throbber like the other one. The books are quite entertaining.

I reckon it must be more than a coinkydenky so come on Stephen, own up, you are on ARRSE aren't you???

6. Just in case anybody thinks that this is the work of a talented author? Amazon are selling copies for 1p

7. Stephen Leather probably sought a technical advisor for his military themed novels and bad luck would have it his google search landed him on the IBA and Shitt's pages.

Probably Shitt offered a deal : Drop my name into your books and I'll waive/reduce my consultation fee.