Channel 4s alternative to the Queens Christmas Day speech

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Dec 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been on BBC 5 live news
    Ahmadinejad gives festive speech
    Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will deliver Channel 4's alternative to the Queen's Christmas Day speech this year, it has announced.

He will be shown telling British viewers "the general will of nations" is for a return to "human values".

His speech, in Farsi with English subtitles, will be the channel's 16th alternative Christmas message.

Unlike previous years, it will be broadcast at night and not at the same time as the Queen's speech.

The message of seasonal goodwill is to be aired at 1915 GM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7799094.stm

2. Another demonstration that Channel 4 is in the hands of the lunatics!
    Are we a proud nation I think not, we want the Queen not some one who still has our boys i-pods!

3. Could have been worse, they could have used Bin Laden, or Bush

4. You what?!

When did we move Xmas to April?

5. Did you complain last year?

6. No I didn't, but there again he wasn't a Simpson ! FFS look at the tone of the Channel.

This is not the first time the channel has courted controversy with its choice of speaker. In 2006 a fully-veiled British-born Muslim woman used the message to attack Jack Straw for his criticism of the niqab (face veil) earlier the same year.

7. Is it just me or has the Queen got in the act of chirsmas by getting earlier and earlier, I'm sure we don't usually find out the content of her speech untill Chirsmas morning after the world service has brocast it to the commenwealth. I don't recall it being release on Chrismas even before or have I had one to many stella!!!

8. Who would listen to it, anyway?! Although I do find it amusing that non-Christians are asked to deliver a speech on a birthday of Christ.

9. Channel 4 tries to be different. It seems to be succeeding.

If you don't like what they offer, don't watch it. If you're so outraged by C4, detune them from your TV memory. It really is that simple. When the viewers stop watching, the advertising disappears, and so does C4.

10. Why? Many non-Christians - such as Muslims - see Christ as one of their prophets and thus rever his existence almost as much as Christians do.

Personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

11. its just HOPE...

12. Yes, one of the prophets, not God's incarnation. I don't see what the fuss is about either, apart from "Why?"

13. Or BROWN !

14. And the problem is what? I look forward to seeing it. Always good to have the other view.