Channel 4s alternative to the Queens Christmas Day speech

Just been on BBC 5 live news
Ahmadinejad gives festive speech
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will deliver Channel 4's alternative to the Queen's Christmas Day speech this year, it has announced.

He will be shown telling British viewers "the general will of nations" is for a return to "human values".

His speech, in Farsi with English subtitles, will be the channel's 16th alternative Christmas message.

Unlike previous years, it will be broadcast at night and not at the same time as the Queen's speech.

The message of seasonal goodwill is to be aired at 1915 GM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7799094.stm

Another demonstration that Channel 4 is in the hands of the lunatics!
Are we a proud nation I think not, we want the Queen not some one who still has our boys i-pods!

pimpernel said:
Are we a proud nation I think not, we want the Queen not some one who still has our boys i-pods!
Did you complain last year?

BBC said:
Last year's message was given by Maj Andrew Stockton, a British soldier who lost an arm fighting in Afghanistan.

whitecity said:
pimpernel said:

BBC said:
Last year's message was given by Maj Andrew Stockton, a British soldier who lost an arm fighting in Afghanistan.
No I didn't, but there again he wasn't a Simpson ! FFS look at the tone of the Channel.

This is not the first time the channel has courted controversy with its choice of speaker. In 2006 a fully-veiled British-born Muslim woman used the message to attack Jack Straw for his criticism of the niqab (face veil) earlier the same year.

Is it just me or has the Queen got in the act of chirsmas by getting earlier and earlier, I'm sure we don't usually find out the content of her speech untill Chirsmas morning after the world service has brocast it to the commenwealth. I don't recall it being release on Chrismas even before or have I had one to many stella!!!

Who would listen to it, anyway?! Although I do find it amusing that non-Christians are asked to deliver a speech on a birthday of Christ.

pimpernel said:
whitecity said:
pimpernel said:

BBC said:
No I didn't, but there again he wasn't a Simpson ! FFS look at the tone of the Channel.

This is not the first time the channel has courted controversy with its choice of speaker. In 2006 a fully-veiled British-born Muslim woman used the message to attack Jack Straw for his criticism of the niqab (face veil) earlier the same year.
Channel 4 tries to be different. It seems to be succeeding.

If you don't like what they offer, don't watch it. If you're so outraged by C4, detune them from your TV memory. It really is that simple. When the viewers stop watching, the advertising disappears, and so does C4.

Domovoy said:
Who would listen to it, anyway?! Although I do find it amusing that non-Christians are asked to deliver a speech on a birthday of Christ.
Why? Many non-Christians - such as Muslims - see Christ as one of their prophets and thus rever his existence almost as much as Christians do.

Personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

whitecity said:
Domovoy said:
Why? Many non-Christians - such as Muslims - see Christ as one of their prophets and thus rever his existence almost as much as Christians do.

its just HOPE...

whitecity said:
Domovoy said:

Yes, one of the prophets, not God's incarnation. I don't see what the fuss is about either, apart from "Why?"

singha61 said:
Just been on BBC 5 live news
Ahmadinejad gives festive speech
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will deliver Channel 4's alternative to the Queen's Christmas Day speech this year, it has announced.

He will be shown telling British viewers "the general will of nations" is for a return to "human values".

His speech, in Farsi with English subtitles, will be the channel's 16th alternative Christmas message.

Unlike previous years, it will be broadcast at night and not at the same time as the Queen's speech.

The message of seasonal goodwill is to be aired at 1915 GM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7799094.stm
And the problem is what? I look forward to seeing it. Always good to have the other view.

PartTimePongo said:
And the problem is what? I look forward to seeing it. Always good to have the other view.
Especially given the geo-political importance of Iran (whether you like it or not) bordering as it does on the two countries we are currently fighting in.

msr

Absolutely MSR , I think it's a must see.

Somehow I can't see Iran broadcasting HM's speech though - "good to have the other view"? since when have they had the other view?

You'll be telling me next that dinnerjacket's speech should be alternated with Gerry Adams...

T

Tremaine

In a sad kind of way this doesn't surprise me at all. Judging by the quality of their Christmas schedule, including these little slots, Channel Four have gone totally nuts. Mind you, for some time , my TV channels go 1,2,3, 5 (under protest) without a thought for the Friends repeats, T4, or other sewage they're putting on this season.

Can't see the fuss. C4 is quirky and does contain shite like BB, but still manages to be streets ahead of most of the content on the Beeb most of the time. As for ITV - that seldom gets a clicking at all.

I'll be recording it and watching it at my leisure for the historical curio that it is. Do I think that it's likely to form the vanguard of an Iranian assault on our way of life to the degree that I need to clamber onto this particular outrage bus. 'Fraid not.