Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 4 - Monday, September 14th 2020 - 8 pm - "Inside The Bomb Squad"

And the explody stuff - do you just rock up to a field and say "'Ello Farmer Giles, stay off the lower field for half an hour." or do you have to arrange beforehand & pay him?

The police arrange a safe place for disposal.

No, but what you saw tonight was typical of life in the Regiment.

I wouldn’t have been happy to wear the cameras.
I haven't watched it yet.
I'll have a chat with G and watch it with him with a beer. The comedy value alone with him hurling abuse at the RLC blanket stacking ******* (his words not mine) will be worth it.
I'm getting him a bottle of Rum just for shits and giggles, he goes mental on Rum.

Why would anyone finding anything resembling a grenade take it in a car and show it to people? Why would you go fishing with a magnet - most valuable 'treasure' is not made of ferrous metals, so why?

Has there been an increase in the use of explosives by criminals other than terrorists? There was a weirdo up here who made a load of explosive and the RN team were dealing with it for what seemed like ages. Another time, the girl in Teacos asked me if I had been making bombs and said her neighbour had half blown his house up.

Stupid people + Chemistry = Danger!
We've found a few, once they've been through a power harrow/ rotavator a couple of times it'd surprising if one went bang when you're moving it out of the way of the seeder days afterwards.
The nice chap that came out in one of those lorries picked it up then dug in it with a pen knife, he wouldn't let us keep the casing, the Plod asked also.
Apparently some Scousers found it amusing rolling em through the doors in police stations.......
Some of em wore uniforms IYKWIM.

Washing carrot crops from the edge of Altcar came up with some interesting finds...
A civvy dressed bloke blew our collection up in a field for us once.
Twas before elf and safety became a 'thing'.
A straw bale or two and fingers in yer ears 321...

ETA.
Memory jog.
Things might've changed somewhat, the bloke turned up in a cortina estate!

Last edited:
what the magnet fishers find a lot of is dumped safes and money boxes, stripped of their contents and discarded sawn-offs and other dodgy guns. They also find any amount of tin cans,washing machines and sundry once-white goods, bicycle frames,old mopeds and a lifetime supply of nails, tools, hardware and the like. They also find unexploded ordnance, as you have seen and the intelligent ones will usually retreat to a safe distance.....

I haven't watched it yet.
I'll have a chat with G and watch it with him with a beer. The comedy value alone with him hurling abuse at the RLC blanket stacking ******* (his words not mine) will be worth it.
I'm getting him a bottle of Rum just for shits and giggles, he goes mental on Rum.

What are your views on reincarnation, choons and slicing of people's faces?

Did that lad out of Norholt have his body armour under his shirt?

Yokel

LE
what the magnet fishers find a lot of is dumped safes and money boxes, stripped of their contents and discarded sawn-offs and other dodgy guns. They also find any amount of tin cans,washing machines and sundry once-white goods, bicycle frames,old mopeds and a lifetime supply of nails, tools, hardware and the like. They also find unexploded ordnance, as you have seen and the intelligent ones will usually retreat to a safe distance.....

Never underestimate the ingenuity of halfwits when it comes to putting themselves and others at risk. As a child I went to a local bonfire to see a pair of idiots trying to put a very large gas cylinder on the fire.

At the other end of the spectrum we saw the Police and Fire Service worrying that a grenade would rupture as gas main.

Watching the first episode now at work. Whilst I find most of it fascinating, it's the over dramatic commentary, which I know is to make it exciting to watch, but it just hacks me off.

Buddy!

War Hero
I'm always interested to see material from across Defence that is being pushed out to the public, all of this stuff contributes to the public perception and recruitment.

I have to say, it's very watchable and the EOD personnel have shown themselves in a great light. If only all of the RLC were this professional!

Minor annoyance with the addition of sirens into some clips of the vehicle when it is clearly not driving on blues.

Great work overall!

Why do they keep referring to the 'Bomb Squad'? It's a simplistic catchy tagline for Joe Public, but it's really annoying

Buddy!

War Hero
Why do they keep referring to the 'Bomb Squad'? It's a simplistic catchy tagline for Joe Public, but it's really annoying

Well, if they used 'EOD' in any form the majority wouldn't have a clue would they. I agree, the name is a bit cringe.

Watching the first episode now at work. Whilst I find most of it fascinating, it's the over dramatic commentary, which I know is to make it exciting to watch, but it just hacks me off.
Typical TV voice over. Given they make Masterchef sound like a tour in Helmand, a real life documentary about EOD teams is clearly going to suffer similar treatment!

HE117

LE
I must say that I am quite taken with the power of this blue det cord!

Impressive stuff!

Last edited:

HE117

LE
Blue det cord is always marked -

'For Winners'.
I particularly liked how effective it was in disposing of the 2" MOR SMK..

The PE helped though!

FFS guys!

The police arrange a safe place for disposal.
Did this, as in previous times, involve ditching said items in a river, thereby creating a circle of life opportunity for magnet fishers?

Bit of overkill to make a bigger bang for TV maybe.

Done for ease of accounting. PE is accounted for by the cart (1 cart being 1 X 8oz stick).

You also need to ensure the tail fin cannot be recognised.

Latest Threads