Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 4 - Monday, September 14th 2020 - 8 pm - "Inside The Bomb Squad"

soleil

War Hero
InsideTheBombSquad.jpg

soleil

War Hero
"About the programme

This series has unprecedented access to the British Army soldiers who serve as the UK's bomb disposal elite"

"Episode 1

The experts race against time to deactivate a grenade that has been discarded in a bin near a gas main on an industrial estate. And they find a hoard of military munitions in a Manchester tower block."

soleil

War Hero
"Britain is on high alert for terrorist attacks, with the threat level still classed as substantial.

This series has unprecedented access to the British Army soldiers who serve as part of the UK’s bomb disposal elite and also provides an insight into the training that they receive at ‘Bomb School’ in Bicester.

Sergeant Alex ‘Swansea’ Hughes is called out at night to a woodland near Clitheroe, where a dog walker has found an explosive dating back to World War II.

Swansea must make it safe by taking it to a large open field and blowing it up.

It’s thought that there are 21,000 sites in the UK with unexploded World War II ordnance.

Sergeant Sam Jones is based at RAF Northolt, just outside London.

A veteran of Afghanistan, he has seen a spike in the number of calls the bomb squad receive in the UK due to a new craze: magnet fishing.

Treasure hunters hurl large industrial weights into lakes and canals but often get more than they bargained for, pulling out all manner of potentially deadly explosives including mortar bombs and hand grenades.

One ‘fisherman’ has caused a major incident by disposing of a hand grenade he found in a dustbin on the industrial estate where he works.

If it explodes it could rupture a nearby gas main, with catastrophic results.

For Sam, and his number two, Corporal Blake Cookson, it’s a race against time.

In Greater Manchester, police have arrested a man who had a hand grenade in his locker at work,

At the man’s home in a tower block, Staff Sergeant Steve Cockburn discovers a hoard of military munitions.

Meanwhile, at Bomb School, the bomb squad train to deal with booby traps."

Ritch

LE
You do know you can put multiple things in a single post?

aardvark64

War Hero

SOP for mines explained very succinctly at 2:38. The whole clip is worth watching though.

why's the dude on the left got a different belt?

No, but what you saw tonight was typical of life in the Regiment.

I wouldn’t have been happy to wear the cameras.

I imagine the Farmers get enough £ to let the team make holes in their fields!

thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Does it feature dumbass civvies doing dumbass stuff with ordnance?

Yes.

it seemed a bit breathless - not least from the plod and trumpton who though a hand grenade could rupture a deep gas main, and thus cordoned off everywhere. The AT Sgt picked up with his hands and showed it to the film crew...

memory jog:- Back in 1974, with 4 driver- electricians in our troop, we took it in turns to be driver-gopher for 1 AIDU* a unit of the RAOC stationed in their collection of huts at the back of 10 sigs at Hounslow,. My turn saw us driving out into the Suffolk countryside, a farmer had half his plough blades burnt off by a white phosphorus bomb he had ploughed up. It turned out during WW2, the field was a training range for the army. Another day saw us collecting a mills 36 from a police station, and one memorable day, at Heathrow at the end of one of the runways, is-was a bunker, every month or so, any inert nasties removed from the terminals, were stored there, and then collected for disposal.

From memory, Sgt S***E Pr****R.....* Ammunition Inspectorate & Disposal Unit. The pre cursor of the EOD

Yokel

LE
Why would anyone finding anything resembling a grenade take it in a car and show it to people? Why would you go fishing with a magnet - most valuable 'treasure' is not made of ferrous metals, so why?

Has there been an increase in the use of explosives by criminals other than terrorists? There was a weirdo up here who made a load of explosive and the RN team were dealing with it for what seemed like ages. Another time, the girl in Teacos asked me if I had been making bombs and said her neighbour had half blown his house up.

Stupid people + Chemistry = Danger!

Old-Salt
I think there will be a small legal hiatus in the Manchester Arena public inquiry in the morning. Having seen the criticism last week of the emergency services for failing to go in for a substantial period after the explosion I think an answer or reason appeared on TV tonight.

Unless this has already been disclosed to the participants there will be some teddy bears being thrown in the morning.

Old-Salt
why's the dude on the left got a different belt?
It would not look right if they were dressed the same, some sort of a "uniform" look. So they made sure they had different types of stable belt, boots etc.

Some General will be pleased that they all had sleeves rolled up to the same area and shirts tucked in.

I think there will be a small legal hiatus in the Manchester Arena public inquiry in the morning. Having seen the criticism last week of the emergency services for failing to go in for a substantial period after the explosion I think an answer or reason appeared on TV tonight.

Unless this has already been disclosed to the participants there will be some teddy bears being thrown in the morning.

I can't imagine that Ch4 is breaking news like that.

Especially as the Kerslake report details the timeline

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Those magnet-fishers did seem a bit dozy. Like Yokel said, what are they expecting to drag out? I suspect they *want* to find dangerous stuff for the thrill of it & the attention.
Carrying it about? I can't imagine how a sane person would consider that in the top 1,000 things to do with it.
Would like to imagine that matey with the corroded grenade got a proper shouting-at, if not a stiff fin (wishful thinking).
Will be interesting to see what happens to matey boy with the 'party bag'.

What you heard was EOD SOP. In my experience reality hasn’t read EOD SOPs and there will be some disconnect.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
And the explody stuff - do you just rock up to a field and say "'Ello Farmer Giles, stay off the lower field for half an hour." or do you have to arrange beforehand & pay him?

Latest Threads