Changing the sentence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bowser-Mong, May 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Today there was an article in the Daily Mail about a babysitter who attacked his two charges (2 girls aged 5 and 6) because they angered him. Now then, this piece of shit was given 5 years for what he did. I have heard that if a member of the public thinks that a sentence is unduly lenient then they can complain and have the case reexamined to try and bring a heftier sentence. To that end please may I ask both my fellow arssers and the non-arssers who trawl his site if they can help me. If you know who to write to please pm me. Many thanks.
  2. I'm all for public opinion influencing a longer sentence as it seems most of our judges are residents on another planet. Just a shame that our law doesn't allow families of the victims to administer the same treatment to the attackers.
  3. There was a campaign to get the sentence increased for the wretched ****** **** ***** that abused a baby they were minding fairly recently. Unfortunately i cannot remember the names of those involved.

    Gauntlet thrown someone will google :wink:
  4. Don't PM the advice, post it on here. I'm sure a lot of people would be quite interested to know if this can be done. Unless of course, pentcunt decides to answer this one :banned:
  5. FABLONBIFFCHIT, try contacting Sentencing Advisory Panel and the Sentencing Guidelines Council. Ultimately, laws are made by Parliament, but the liberal-democratic framework of our state has at the heart of it the separation of powers, hence the over-turning on appeal, by judges, of a few minimum sentences as imposed by various Home Secretaries. I accept that bodies such as the Sentencing Advisory Panel and the Sentencing Guidelines Council are in essence "a good thing" because they are checks and balances on the potential for a government to abuse its power by enshrining unjust sentences in law, BUT given the genuine concern of the vast majority of the electorate regarding the continued increase in crime and the failings of the criminal justice system, these bodies appear as out of touch with society's wants and needs as the crustiest of judges, thus even when a judge is in tune with society's thinking, they're constrained by sentencing guidlines, knowing that if they exceed recommended punishments then the sentence will probably be reduced on appeal.

    Whilst views on crime and punishment are inherently subjective, most members of society consider themselves to be reasonable men (Clapham omnibus) thus are able to make distinctions between law and justice. Some crimes are so anti-social as to be deserving of only the longest sentences, a life sentence meaning life imprisonment, which was the deal offered to the electorate in exchange for them agreeing to the repeal of capital punishment.

    Obviously you can write to your MP (citing particular examples and asking him to raise the issue in PMQs), the Attorney General and the Home Secretary as well as the PM, but as this government does a sterling job of ignoring the wishes of the electorate, don't hold your breath.
  6. Don't think it's possible for Joe Bloggs to complain about the sentence dished out in a case that he saw or read of in that day's news. However, since the Crown (for which read the Home Secretary) can appeal a sentence in the normal channels, I suppose you could raise the case with your MP and then ask him/her to raise it with the Home Secretary. You'd have to have a fairly solid case that the judge had broken with the normal rules on sentencing, but it might be doable.
  7. Anyone can complain - write to the Attorney General at 9 Buckingham Gate London SW1. It would be helpful to tell him the date of sentence and which Crown Court it was, and enclose the relevant press cutting