Changing the army - how?

If it is all cyber, why not outsource it? Capita could no doubt undertake the job. No doubt the CDS has worked out how many keyboards you would have to stack to stop a T14?
Someone else does the Cyber, it's not our money. Well, the bits we do that can be contracted out have been.

Something in coalition with others. It's explicit in our doctrine that this is how we expect to fight. There's also the possibility, albeit a pretty unlikely one, of fighting a smaller country.
Armenia had a similar-ish size army with near matching equipment, and look how that turned out?
The latter possibility suggests that Schrödinger's Mbotu Gorge* is going to be our adversary of choice shortly

*The state of being both winnbale and undesirable to win at the same time

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
And have been since the mid-1990s with the creation of the ARRC - whose commander (after much post-Cold-War politicking within NATO) is commanded by a Brit.

Given the latest restructuring of British land forces, I wonder if the politicking around the nationality holding that appointment might resume. Germans were hankering after it for a good few years after the decision was made, that much I do know.

I think there's definitely potential for that. Worth noting that there are several Corps HQ in Europe now, all hoping they'll be the one chosen to command NATO forces. I'm not sure if the Germans have one, but the French definitely do and they have far more claim to that level of command than us.

Edit: Google tells me that there are nine corps HQ in NATO. Germany shares responsibility for one with the Dutch.

I think there's definitely potential for that. Worth noting that there are several Corps HQ in Europe now, all hoping they'll be the one chosen to command NATO forces. I'm not sure if the Germans have one, but the French definitely do and they have far more claim to that level of command than us.

Edit: Google tells me that there are nine corps HQ in NATO. Germany shares responsibility for one with the Dutch.
There are nine NATO Rapid Deployable Corps, including ARRC. Plus there is Eurocorps which is not part of the unified command structure but is assigned to NATO.

The framework nation(s) for each Corps bear the cost of each HQ, most of their staff and the HQs finance. The Commander comes from the framework nation.

The UK is the sole framework nation for the ARRC and, as such, always provides the commander. Germany shares framework nation for the German-Netherlands Corps, Multi-National Corps Northeast and Eurocorps. German officers take their turn in commanding all three.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Capita could no doubt undertake the job.
Stroke of genius. If we could get Capita to run the Cyber capabilities of all opposing world powers, we'd finally achieve world peace.

I thought the MoD provided the IT?
Food for thought?

DRS, we are told, interfaces with numerous MoD systems including Joint Personal Admin (JPA) and Training and Finance Management Information System (TAFIMS), and it is not known how far the attackers got in.

Food for thought?

DRS, we are told, interfaces with numerous MoD systems including Joint Personal Admin (JPA) and Training and Finance Management Information System (TAFIMS), and it is not known how far the attackers got in.
If they can tell me how my travel claim is faring, I’m all for it…

Strangely recruitment waiting times have been slashed by 60% since the hack.
I couldn’t stop myself changing crap code when I was a Developer so one of the hackers must feel the same way.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Food for thought?

Well, there you have it - the penny packet MOD approach to IS ensures that any new system has to interface with broken legacy systems (TAFMIS jeez, well over 25 years old) and therein will lie 99% of the problem, including @alfred_the_great's travel claim.

Well, there you have it - the penny packet MOD approach to IS ensures that any new system has to interface with broken legacy systems (TAFMIS jeez, well over 25 years old) and therein will lie 99% of the problem, including @alfred_the_great's travel claim.
And the internet :) I will guarantee it was a patching/other update issue

Latest Threads