MIA
Surely the plan is:

1. Do no research.
2. Let China do all their research.
3. Use Cyber to steal it all.
4. Insert Ranger team to deliver note saying: "SEE, HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?"

I can see no* flaws with this plan.

* For a certain value of "no".

For pity's sake, don't give the idiots any ideas!

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For pity's sake, don't give the idiots any ideas!
I mean, I think this must basically be the plan, except after a Q4 moment the note may end up saying "all ur base r belong 2 us". Nothing else fits the available information.

If I were the Chancellor/CDS/SoS for Defence I would ban the Army from starting any R&D until it had demonstrated:
1. It had an aim and an orbat to match.
2. OR bat was justified by extensive operational analysis on the suite of simulators it already has,.
3. Someone else was doing it
4. It was TRL>>3

If the person mentioned Rangers or Cyber I would have them taken out and shot to better focus the minds of their minions.
Can I mention Rangers! We had them 35 years ago when I joined. The launcher could be mounted on a 432, Bedford, Stalwart or even a Combat Support Boat. Key element of BAOR obstacle design. Have I missed something.

Being serious. Don’t do anything without a strategic vision. And then execute that vision with absolute professionalism. If necessary, take capability gaps. Stop being driven by circumstance; take the initiative.

The whole Boxer / CR3 / Ranger / Cyber / Ajax mess is the result of having no strategic vision. It’s incoherent, already obsolete and desperately unambitious.

Surely the plan is:

1. Do no research.

Do we have enough Mandarin speakers/readers to translate it all though?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Surely the plan is:

1. Do no research.

That's pretty much how the Chinese actually do it?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
If the person mentioned Rangers or Cyber I would have them taken out and shot to better focus the minds of their minions.
Cyber is important.

Rangers are not important (or likely to live very long).

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nick's been having ideas again o_O

Really don't get some of his reasoning, first Field Marshall is an Honorary rank, only given to Royals and retirees, neither retaining that rank nor abolishing achieves anything militarily, he's got a whole load of mess going on there around Lieutenant, that seems to little more than create new titles so he can feel special, if you want to do that just reinstate the old rank of Ensign to replace 2nd Lieutenant. So he drops 1 Honorary Rank, 2 Officer Ranks Brigadier (Lt Col), and merges two ORs. I can see something maybe with removing Lt Col & Brigadier, and the merger of CSM & CS but I'm not convinced.

Maybe I'm just getting hung with the Lieutenant-Captain idea seems to achieve bugger all

Full Blogpost here

Last edited:

Really don't get some of his reasoning, first Field Marshall is an Honorary rank, only given to Royals and retirees, neither retaining that rank nor abolishing achieves anything militarily, he's got a whole load of mess going on there around Lieutenant, that seems to little more than create new titles so he can feel special. So he drops 1 Honorary Rank, 2 Officer Ranks Brigadier (Lt Col), and merges two ORs. I can see something maybe with remove Lt Col & Brigadier, and the merger of CSM & CS but I'm not convinced.

Maybe I'm just getting hung with the Lieutenant-Captain idea seems to achieve bugger all

Full Blogpost here

Build up from the bottom, not down from the top: if c30 men need a lt/ captain, and c100 men need a capt/ major, and c1000 need a ltcol, anything above that needs to follow the ratios, not invent bogus jobs to keep generals on the payroll.

So he returns the RN to a Nelsonian rank structure.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose…

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero

Really don't get some of his reasoning, first Field Marshall is an Honorary rank, only given to Royals and retirees, neither retaining that rank nor abolishing achieves anything militarily, he's got a whole load of mess going on there around Lieutenant, that seems to little more than create new titles so he can feel special, if you want to do that just reinstate the old rank of Ensign to replace 2nd Lieutenant. So he drops 1 Honorary Rank, 2 Officer Ranks Brigadier (Lt Col), and merges two ORs. I can see something maybe with removing Lt Col & Brigadier, and the merger of CSM & CS but I'm not convinced.

Full Blogpost here

Not quite sure I understand what problem he’s solving here?

Full Blogpost here

The unkind might say that this is already the case, from certain perspectives ;)

1635295077054.jpeg

Of particular interest is the equivalence of RN Lt Cdr and RAF Sqn Ldr with Army Lt. Similarly, RN Cdr, RAF Wg Cdr equivalent to an Army Major. In the OR-isphere, RN POs are apparently equivalent to Corporals.

No smoke without fire, I suppose :D

Latest Threads