Changing the army - how?

Yes really. OPEC have significant influence on oil prices but not control.

Bob

I know you like to portray yourself is some big shot business man.

Let me put this in simple terms for you.

If OPEC wanted the price of oil at $100 a barrel by the end of the month - It would be at $100 by the end of the month.

They even employ brainy people that would tell by who many barrels to cut output.

Don't know about your world - But in my world that is the very definition of controlling the price.

bob231

War Hero
The clue is in the words International Waters.

There exists an Organisation called ' The International Maritime Organisation '

They should be the lead in ensuring the safe passage of vessels in International Waters - Should the IMO request assistance from the UK ( along with other Countries ) then it is something that should be considered.

The UK is not the world policeman for International Waters any more than they are land based world policemen.
And I shall stand by mine, that this is the reason for a significant number of our ships deployed beyond UK waters.

Otherwise, I am content to agree to disagree: I'm not entirely convinced by yours but I lack the knowledge (and the time to look it up) to counter it.

Do you therefore envisage an Army scaled and equipped for home defence?

Eh? The IMO should “control” ‘International Waters’.

Erm, no - it fundamentally misses the point of what International Waters are: a global commons.

Bob

I know you like to portray yourself is some big shot business man.

Let me put this in simple terms for you.

If OPEC wanted the price of oil at $100 a barrel by the end of the month - It would be at $100 by the end of the month.

They even employ brainy people that would tell by who many barrels to cut output.

Don't know about your world - But in my world that is the very definition of controlling the price.
Except your simple terms date to when Gene Hunt fired up the Quattro.

US shale oil extraction breaks even somewhere between $50-100 a barrel. OPEC sets a price at $100 a barrel, US shale oil ramps up. Supply exceeds demand and price falls. That’s what has happened in the last decade.

Do you therefore envisage an Army scaled and equipped for home defence?

I have already made my position clear

At a strength of 72k - less sick, lame & lazy, it is not in much of a position to be anything else.

Regardless of how much we might punch above our weight, or how much people in positions of power blow smoke up our ARRSE

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
<Drops book on coffee table wanders back out whistling nonchalantly>

From the blurb:

"How to build trust..."
TIP: If unable to recruit enough trained staff, simply change the definition of "trained staff".

"...and cohesion..."
TIP: Divide your organisation into multiple tribal groups and encourage each to view the others as inferior.

"...achieve a balance between control..."
TIP: If staff use their own property instead of company equipment, try vandalizing it to discourage the practice.

"...and delegation..."
TIP: Set extensive written rules for how to wear every piece of clothing in every situation. Create roles to enforce these rules. To build trust and cohesion, neglect to do this for the minority sex among your staff.

"
...and deliver results in the face of adversity."
Too soon.

From the blurb:

"How to build trust..."
TIP: If unable to recruit enough trained staff, simply change the definition of "trained staff".

"...and cohesion..."
TIP: Divide your organisation into multiple tribal groups and encourage each to view the others as inferior.

"...achieve a balance between control..."
TIP: If staff use their own property instead of company equipment, try vandalizing it to discourage the practice.

"...and delegation..."
TIP: Set extensive written rules for how to wear every piece of clothing in every situation. Create roles to enforce these rules. To build trust and cohesion, neglect to do this for the minority sex among your staff.

"
...and deliver results in the face of adversity."
Too soon.
Given the Army's recent history I'm curious about the robustness of the strapline "Why British Army Leadership Works"

Does the author constrain himself to a very small, narrow selection of case studies, one wonders.

And since British Army Leadership 'working' apparently looks like this:
5caa1cedfc7e93a57d8b457c.png

. . . does the book include passages on posture, hand gestures and dropping the normal speaking voice by an octave?

Given the Army's recent history I'm curious about the robustness of the strapline "Why British Army Leadership Works"

Does the author constrain himself to a very small, narrow selection of case studies, one wonders.

. . . does the book include passages on posture, hand gestures and dropping the normal speaking voice by an octave?
I was thinking the same thing, Army Leadership is sort of effective in the Army, after that what is it doing for anyone? I've sat in a brief from MCS and I have to say he speaks very well.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

Indigestion?

From the blurb:

"...and delegation..."
TIP: Set extensive written rules for how to wear every piece of clothing in every situation. Create roles to enforce these rules. To build trust and cohesion, neglect to do this for the minority sex among your staff, and senior management.
Minor tweak for accuracy.

Pretty much a cut and paste of Arrse.
Indeed.

My favourite lines:
For an organisation that boasts that its people are its greatest asset – which is undoubtedly true – it is remarkable how the organisation exploits a very narrow set of its people’s talents, to the exclusion of many others.

Given repeated failures of army procurement to the point where the force is no longer able to conduct high-intensity armoured warfare, along with defeat in campaigns dependent on partner forces, the question must be asked whether a career structure that is undermining the institution’s ability to successfully deliver its core tasks is worth preserving.

My betting is that CASTLE is not going to significantly impact the system.

If it ever looks remotely like it's going to undermine the prospects of that 'very narrow set of its people', it will become the sole target in a free fire zone, with incoming from high-maintenance stakeholders on all sides

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Indeed.

My favourite lines:

My betting is that CASTLE is not going to significantly impact the system.

If it ever looks remotely like it's going to undermine the prospects of that 'very narrow set of its people', it will become the sole target in a free fire zone, with incoming from high-maintenance stakeholders on all sides

As we speak, the light infantry and public duties regiments are forming squares and preparing to fight off the real enemy - Change.

As we speak, the light infantry and public duties regiments are forming squares and preparing to fight off the real enemy - Change.

They won't have to. Just rebranded as Rangers or Security Force Assistance Brigade. 8 Bns of Light Infantry secures until the next review.