Changing styles of disaster reporting

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Crash, Mar 9, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I feel your pain brother.

2. That crash is usually used on Major Medical Incident Management courses to demonstrate lack of planning and preparedness. I think, though, that it was just how it was at the time; aircraft crashes were relatively common, as were major train crashes - later in 1952 over 100 were killed in the Harrow and Wealdstone crash. There's a compilation of train crash clips from the 50's on YouTube, and in many the announcer will point out that clearing the tracks and getting trains running again was a priority, with services sometimes restarting even as rescue work went on. There may also have been an element of wartime thinking - 'we're all in it together, and we must carry on whatever'. That 'blitz spirit' has also been cited as a major reason for people of that generation not seeking help for traumatic mental health issues.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. X59

X59 LE

I've posted this comparison somewhere before, but seems apt here too.

1984 Brighton bombing assassination attempt on Margaret Thatcher PM, kills 5 and injures 32.

The Conservative Party conference resumes that morning, with the PM delivering a solid speech.

2016 shooting of a minor Labour MP, who's name escapes me, and Parliament goes into meltdown.

An entire day in The Commons is dedicated to tributes to this tragic loss to humanity.

Heaven help us in the event of a real tragedy these days.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Don't forget

Several MPs expressed the opinion it was a good start / shame they missed Thatcher etc and their careers seem not to have suffered unduly

1 MP ( Tory I think) asks what all the fuss over Jo cox is and we witness another melt down and demands he is sacked

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Of course the blame factor, scapegoats, calls for a Court of Inquiry,changes in the law with life imprisonment and of course bus loads of lawyers to organize the 'compo' claims

• Like Like x 2
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I passed a girl crying in her car because it was broken down, fecking wets

• Like Like x 1
  7. Are you good with colours or just indifferent to the fairer sex?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

New car, tough shit moment

9. And the ATC cadets were dragooned into picking up the pieces, literally.

Surely nobody can agree that's good?

I hate today's hand wringing, but it may be better than decades of suffering in silence.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Regardless, her name should not 'escape' you - it weakens your argument massively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. X59

X59 LE

Oh no!

12. Oh yes actually - a sitting MP being murdered by a right wing nutter is a big deal, regardless of views or party. If you think that such an act was not worthy of note then you need to get your head looked.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Unless you can contribute to the discussion sensibly and seriously, it might be better for you to exercise restraint.

14. Yeah. It's the same with health and safety: it's a pain in the neck but if it saves one life- which I guess it must have done by now- it's hard to argue against.

15. X59

X59 LE

Apologies.

Easy to forget where you're posting sometimes.

• Funny Funny x 1