Changing roles in Phase 1

I know this has been answered around Jan last year so sorry for duplicate. I'm just wondering if regulations have changed, as quite a bit seems different now & I'm getting conflicted answers from my CSM & recruitment.
Is it possible to change cap badges / job roles during phase one?
And what is the process and difficulties?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My info is more than likely out of date or plainly wrong, but it did occur. Though it wasn't common, and not without good reason.

You really need to make a decision as to what trade appeals to you, and why, before you tip up to phase 1. Phase 1 is nothing like what you will be doing day to day once you are a fully trained soldier at your unit.

At Pirbright, Winchester or Harrogate you can apply to change cap badge, there are interviews and you need to be accepted by the cap badge you want to come into, and there are set windows for doing so (usually the first two weeks you are there and roughly half way through)

Same-ish at Catterick if you just want to change to a different Infantry. If you want to go to another part of the Army, get it changed so you don't got to Catterick for Phase 1.

At Pirbright, Winchester or Harrogate you can apply to change cap badge, there are interviews and you need to be accepted by the cap badge you want to come into, and there are set windows for doing so (usually the first two weeks you are there and roughly half way through)

Same-ish at Catterick if you just want to change to a different Infantry. If you want to go to another part of the Army, get it changed so you don't got to Catterick for Phase 1.
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is still relevant to you mate but literally just finished phase 1 at Pirbright and you can change cap badge there even very late into training. You can mention to your section commander that you want to change early on, but those who did in my troop got told to wait till the trade training visits in week 7. After that the interviews started and the proper boxes ticked to get people moved across. If you want my advice though get everything done before week 13 and you go on final ex though or you'd be very pushed to get everything done before pass off

Latest Threads