• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Changing Regiments after the Basic?

Hi.
I was thinking about enlisting, I'm 30 years old male (yeah... I know I should have done it earlier...) anyway- I was wondering: if one joins the Army and goes to the "standard" infantry regiment (I was thinking about Dukes of Lancaster; it's my local regiment) can that person, after finishing basic training, "swap" into, let say, RLC or veterinary corps or become RMP etc? I was thinking because, well, at this moment I cannot apply for these positions yet (I'm doing the GCSEs atm). Also, after few years, being a kingsman (or infantryman in general) will frankly speaking become more and more physically challenging.

cheers,
VoV

Uh yeah, you can in theory and plenty of people have, but it can be difficult to do and sometimes won't happen at all if there's no vacancies where you want to go.

You're best off smashing the GCSEs out and going for the one you want from the off. I know your time limit is running out a bit but you can get them done pretty quickly at a local college or something.

The_Duke

LE
As you have already been advised, you might be able to retrade later, but there are no guarantees.

Don't join with that being your only plan for the future.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi.
I was thinking about enlisting, I'm 30 years old male (yeah... I know I should have done it earlier...) anyway- I was wondering: if one joins the Army and goes to the "standard" infantry regiment (I was thinking about Dukes of Lancaster; it's my local regiment) can that person, after finishing basic training, "swap" into, let say, RLC or veterinary corps or become RMP etc? I was thinking because, well, at this moment I cannot apply for these positions yet (I'm doing the GCSEs atm). Also, after few years, being a kingsman (or infantryman in general) will frankly speaking become more and more physically challenging.

cheers,
VoV
As it stands at the moment no you can't as you are not qualified. Also you will have to make sure you have the required BARB score. Joining the Infantry with the sole purpose of transferring is completely the wrong way to do things. The RMP are taking very few re-trades as they can fill all the vacancies they have a number of times over.

You could potentially go Dog Handler but will need to complete the same assessments as new recruits. RLC will depend what trade you are looking at. Driver for example aren't taking re-enlisters or re-trades.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SUTTY91 Infantry 7
L Juniors 1
D Army Reserve 25