Changing job roles during phase 1 training

I'm currently set to start at ATR Winchester on the 20th March as an Armoured Engineer for the Royal Engineers. I was kind of influenced to pick this by my cousin who is also in the RE and after I finished assessment in October I was told I had a colour perception level of 4 so my original job choice of joining the Royal Signals was thrown out the window.

However since getting close to my start date I took another look at the job roles and discovered there's a lot of technology focused roles within the Royal Artillery, all the various gunner roles I find quite appealing however I spoke to my recruiter and they said that it's "concerning" that I want to change cap badge this close to starting my phase 1.

I am expecting a phone call soon today to discuss different job roles but I've been warned it might end up delaying my phase 1 start date by quite a while, which personally I really don't want to do as I've already given up my civilian job to join and I'm physically and mentally ready to go.

My question is will it be possible to change my cap badge after beginning my phase 1 training even if my recruiter says no I can't change cap badge or I could but it would delay my start by ages? I just don't want to go through all the trade training and get to the end and think that I'm either missing out or regretting my decision because there was another job role I could have done that was better suited to me.

Thanks

I'm currently set to start at ATR Winchester on the 20th March as an Armoured Engineer for the Royal Engineers. I was kind of influenced to pick this by my cousin who is also in the RE and after I finished assessment in October I was told I had a colour perception level of 4 so my original job choice of joining the Royal Signals was thrown out the window.

However since getting close to my start date I took another look at the job roles and discovered there's a lot of technology focused roles within the Royal Artillery, all the various gunner roles I find quite appealing however I spoke to my recruiter and they said that it's "concerning" that I want to change cap badge this close to starting my phase 1.

I am expecting a phone call soon today to discuss different job roles but I've been warned it might end up delaying my phase 1 start date by quite a while, which personally I really don't want to do as I've already given up my civilian job to join and I'm physically and mentally ready to go.

My question is will it be possible to change my cap badge after beginning my phase 1 training even if my recruiter says no I can't change cap badge or I could but it would delay my start by ages? I just don't want to go through all the trade training and get to the end and think that I'm either missing out or regretting my decision because there was another job role I could have done that was better suited to me.

Thanks
Once in the Royal Engineers, it is possible to do courses that mean you don't end up being an Armoured Engineer for your whole career. You could ask to go onto 23 or 24 RE regiments, or even go do search and EOD with 33 Engineer regiment or even diving if it interests you.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay as RE if you really don't want to, just trying to point out that there may be more available in that Corps than you may think.

Last edited:

ches

LE
I know back in the day during the first few weeks of Phase 1 you could jump across, i did this going from RE to an Inf cap badge but we're talking many decades ago & was in my first 4 weeks which was the cut off back then. But just seen an episode of the Coldstreams on Ch5 & at least one of the new joiners was having a wobble & the OC talking to camera said that early doors in the intake, joiners had various options to move/leave etc.

Latest Threads