Changing job choice.....

My friend just had his intake date in July for Infantry but after talking to a relative that’s been in the Army for 15 years he realised Infantry might not be for him so he’s thinking of changing to artillery? He’s not in phase 1 yet but has had his intake date. Could he contact his careers office and ask to switch or is it too late?

My friend just had his intake date in July for Infantry but after talking to a relative that’s been in the Army for 15 years he realised Infantry might not be for him so he’s thinking of changing to artillery? He’s not in phase 1 yet but has had his intake date. Could he contact his careers office and ask to switch or is it too late?
All your 'friend' can do is ask

What is at about the infantry you your friend thinks might not be for him, is it the load bangs and flying bits of metal? The incessant shouting, ceaseless bulling, (not to mention bullying) the year round living in a field and eating only compo and worm omelettes?

You have done well, sorry, your mate has done well, to get this far through the selection process. To actually having an intake date, going through interviews, selection tests, fam visits, to then suddenly realise ‘hang on, this job I’ve applied for, which has taken a not inconsiderable amount of effort on my part. Might not actually be for me..’

I am sure any trade sponsor that you approach will admire your drive and clear thinking.

Tell 'your friend' that all he has to do is ask. If there are vacancies and all 'his' test scores are good enough for 'his' new choice then I can't see there being an issue.

I got accepted into the RA (Gunner (Tech) trade as was, not a gun bunny!) but ended up switching to the RMP, purely because with the latter I could start training immediately whereas I would've had to wait a couple of months for the former. It wasn't a problem. Good luck to 'your friend'! ;)

It's not too late, like @Berlin_104s said above, if 'your friend' has good enough test scores for their chosen job choice, then no dramas.

'Your friend' should contact their CSM, change their job role over the phone, they will upload 'your friend' on to a new intake at Pirbright/Winchester instead of Catterick.

Pretty easy process, just make sure they're doing it for themselves and no-one else, it is their own life which they have to live and shouldn't succumb to peer pressure. Ensure they do proper research for both infantry and corps before making the decision to switch. One person's opinion no matter who they are is never enough.

Latest Threads