Changing Cap Badge..

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by SmithsRail, Dec 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ... what's the deal with it? Is it possible to change from say.. Infantry to RMP? if so what's the time frame in which you can do this once in?
  2. Easy done. Transfer usually takes between 3-6 months from start to finish although that was pre JPA
  3. Are you currently serving and hoping to transfer or has the recruiter given you the old " join the infantry you can always transfer" chestnut?
  4. That was the line I was fed over 20 years ago!
  5. Ditto. I only later found out there was no such thing as the Womens Royal Auxillary Balloon Corps.
  6. But I'm in it!! Aren't I? Otherwise why am I allowing all those rough teeth arms types have their wicked way with me?
  7. I've been told once in you have to do a minimum of 2 years till you can transfer to the RMP's
  8. cheers for all the Information, originally I was going RAC, then I got it changed to the Infantry, now I want to go RMP but don't really wann **** around my Recruiting Sgt..
  9. If you want to change to RMP change to RMP. Do the job you want to do not the job that will cause the least amount of trouble for your recruiting sgt.
  10. At the end of the day its gong to be your job and possibly your career & life for 22 yrs, do what you want to do not what some recruiting Sgt.

11. I am afraid it is a Recruiting Sgt's line and beware of men with big smiles in AFCOs. Technically you can transfer to anything if.............

1. Your BARB score would allow it/ you have any other neccessary quals.
    2. Your arm are willing to let you go
    3. The corps you want to transfer to has vacancies/is happy to take you.

It is not as clear cut as fill in this form and report to camp X in 3 months. Recruiting Sgts have quotas to fill and sadly some care not a jot what happens to you once you've signed on the dotted line. Take the previous advice if you are able to join RMP do it, forget the you can always transfer line.
  12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Chap I know.
    Enlisted Infantry. Evacuated from Dunkirk, listens to advice from father to get out of the Inf, joins RMP & is shipped to the east.
    Helped build a very nice railway.
    Grass is not always greener.
  13. Ok spot on with your 3 answers there if he was a serving soldier but if Im correct Smithsrail has onlyjust passed selection at ADSC and is due to start ITC in January/February. If you want to go RMP tha much you need to sort it with the ACIO now rather than later and it begs the question why you didnt speak to the Recruiter earlier. You need to of scored at least 60 on the BARB test (highest score) and if my memories correct GCSE C in English and Maths. You also would have to be vetted and have no previous convictions at all .... squeaky clean so Flashy no chance for you. You would more than likely have to go back through ADSC to do selection again as the PSO is looking for different attributes between the different jobs. There are other interviews etc to go through for selection into the RMP as well.

On the other point about Recruiters shoving people into jobs for quotas, not in the 30 months i did recruiting, i was an army wide Recruiter and not just REME and Recruited everyone from Infantry, chefs, Artillary up to the trades, at no stage did I put someone in a job for stats. When some people say I wanted o be a ............. but they saidI couldnt do it firstly they should look at there own ability and standards first before blaming the Recruiter becausemaybe they werent good enough or met the standards in the process.

It would be easier doing it now rather then trying once your in.
  14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Over 30 years ago I wanted to go RAC but was told I was overqualified and go and look for something better. I chose RMP but soon realised it was not for me. The RMP would not let me transfer out, so I ultimately took Discharge as a Statutory Right between eight weeks and three months of training.

Realising my heart still wanted to be RAC, I went to re-enlist, but RMP would not release my records and the process stalled. Eventually I had to write directly to the CO of the RMPTC to ask that something be done and within a week I was signing back on. Took me a while to get back in because I wanted stonewall guarantees they weren't going to try and pull the same stunt again. Leaving RMP to revisiting Sutton Coldfield took five months.

Did seven years, decided I was overqualified and I'd had my fun so, having been approached by the Paymaster (and by the Int Corps whilst on a German Linguist course), I transferred quite effortlessly to RAPC, which took I dunno maybe 4-6 months from approaching troop leader to arriving at Worthy Down.