Changes to vehicle headlight policy.

BIPOLAR77 said:
would't know never tried it, but have seen it done, no doubt its being done also, but the other issue with new cars is that again an example - you own a ford focus, your mates got one, you borrow the headlights, test the car then return them.

Makes a mockery don't you think?

Or get a green card from the NAAFI take out the policy, cancel policy return green card, in the post a week later green card and letter turns up.

bfg your vehicle with no insurance - crazy system

I personnally have german insurance

another flaw with the system is that I cannot use a bfg vehicle for a second business use.

I cant own or register a vehicle that is not BFG'd, therefore how can i use a vehicle for business use?
Agree the whole BFG system is antiquated, over staffed and high on the buaracracy side.

I don't know why they don't make it much more easier, and simplier. There would be a lot less hassle.

Look at teh NATO system.

BIPOLAR77 said:
not really,

example:

get a bfg 414, to export the car back, a week or 2 before go to bfg office - i have lost my bfg f73, pay 6 pounds, get a new one, take car back - presto light check box is completed.

and thanks i am up to speed on all things bfg
Not quite so easy,

a. the new bfg card will run out when your insurance is up as the bfg card is only valid for the length of your insurance. so if u claim a loss after 11 months, u will get the bfg 73 back with one months validity remaining.

b. What box is complete? Only the BFG test centre can stamp that box.

c. If u drive on UK lights for a year then u r risking the insurance being invalidated in a crash as german law requires u to have euro lights after about 3 months of being in Germany. This is especially true if the other driver claims he was blinded by your lights.

pse correct me

This new lights policy is nuts. The change was explained to me as, not for the dip but that halogen dippers are better /safer than xenon flat beams. B=ll+cks. The xenon beam is far superior to the halogen even if the halogen dips to the right. Also I used to be able to adjust my xenons when going back and forth, now I just blind someone and can't see the road correctly. This decision needs to be fought as it is blindingly wrong. Mazda no longer have right or left, just fit xenon dippers which flick by a switch left or right. This smacks of someone making his name/career at everyone elses expense.

The BFG system has always been riddled with contradictions and impossibilities. For example, what if I want to move a SORN vehicle to or from BFG? Last time I was over there there was no strctly legal way of doing it. Any system where you have to "get creative" in order to comply with it is obviously ballacks.

Hi as someone that now lives in France I am well aware of the situation, however, all new vehicles comply with the new thing (at least they should do!!) as the lenses are construed in a sort of double cut off. Get a beam test done but they can usually be ascertained by if the glass is clear, and has the correct EU marking.
As far as the old headlamps are concerned, a sticker is NOT adequate for either here in France, Germany nor the UK for CT read MOT. However, it seems paint is!!!
Motorcycles since 2003 have a compliant headlite.
Incidentally if a motorcycle is fitted with a US type double cut off lens and no E number then the bike cannot be ridden even on vacation!!! either here or in any country outside the original country of registration even though it complies with the UK laws. It seems that this was an exemption given to the UK along the lines of the old sealed beam and zebrazone windscreen.

I'm moving to Germany on a short notice posting in the new year. I've been advised to buy my 'compliant' LHD headlamps prior to arrival as the local garages have your arm and wallet up your back once you're in country.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best (i.e. cheapest) retailer? I drive a W-Reg Peugeot 306. Please keep the crap car gags to a miniumum!

You may have been advised wrong. UK vendors will generally have to special order Euro lights and may charge an arm and a leg.

Probably the easiest and cheapest way is to find the nearest Bosch or Hella main dealer to your new posting location and buy replacement lamps there. As it is in Germany, all they will have in stock is European lamp units at the standard price (and you will get them tax free too) Fit them yourself or get a REME to help for the customary case of beer (also tax free).

And dont forget to keep the Uk lamps in the boxes the Euro ones came in. You wouldnt want to be posted home and find them broken when you go to refit!

Don_Coyote said:
I'm moving to Germany on a short notice posting in the new year. I've been advised to buy my 'compliant' LHD headlamps prior to arrival as the local garages have your arm and wallet up your back once you're in country.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best (i.e. cheapest) retailer? I drive a W-Reg Peugeot 306. Please keep the crap car gags to a miniumum!
Buy them off www.ebay.de when u get here!

Don_Coyote said:

Here you go >> http://rogersheadlights.com/shop/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=0asjbhfajfndddbebvgtf8ain5
Roger is a Belgian national working for the military in Sennelager/Paderborn area.
ps. he also fits headlights.

Can someone help shed some light on the BFG light test saga? I understand that in order to get the BFG cert you require continental head lights with an 'E' mark.
This is where my problem lies. I have a Nissan Elgrand from Japan and they do not manufacture continental headlights. I can get it so that they produce a flat head light beam pattern, but will have the Japanese head lamp markings and the uk light markings.
Any help would be truely appreciated as to whether I can bring my car over.
Many thanks

Can someone help shed some light on the BFG light test saga? I understand that in order to get the BFG cert you require continental head lights with an 'E' mark.
This is where my problem lies. I have a Nissan Elgrand from Japan and they do not manufacture continental headlights. I can get it so that they produce a flat head light beam pattern, but will have the Japanese head lamp markings and the uk light markings.
Many thanks
Get a letter from the manufacturer (Nissan, NOT a dealership/trader) confirming that they can not supply continental headlights for your model and fax/send it to WO1 (ASM) Nigel Black at UKSC(G) G4 ES Branch (Bielefeld) he is your POC for all things BFG Vehicle Testing.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are we all paranoid about our headlights because we are packing smack out of Turkey into the Dam? Or are we just a bit **** about our headlights and are scared of policemen?

Either way, I can advise. PM me, yah?

Many thanks
How about an update?

The are vehicles built that will not be able to change headlights due to the vehicle being only manufactured for LH traffic. In such cases they will not be able to be registered in BFG however, I do believe that there is a company that can convert the lights to meet the requirment. Try contacting your local BFG office as they have the details.