Changes to the Pet Passport for 2012

The rules for the Pet Passport are changing for 2012: From 1st January, you still have to have your animal vaccinated but do not have to have the blood test. You merely have to ensure that the vaccination is done a minimum of 21 days before you travel. You also have to ensure that the vaccination is recorded in a Pet Passport.
No word on returning to the UK about the Tick and Tape treatment yet on the DEFRA website - so it looks like the French vets will still keep their nice little earner

Forastero

LE
Useful dit, ta. My beast is up for his rabies booster next year so no blood test means I'll save about 90 sovs.

Useful dit, ta. My beast is up for his rabies booster next year so no blood test means I'll save about 90 sovs.
So long as rabies booster is given before the 3 years are up, there is no need for a repeat blood test.
Good news indeed - our French vet charges 50 euros a time for a couple of worm tabs and some spot-on!! Hopefully responsible owners will be able to do this themselves in future.

Get a bit p'eed off at having to pay for the mutt on the ferry, esp when he has to stay in the car. £30 to scan a microchip is a bit steep in my book. (For the record tho - Seafrance only charge £20)

So long as rabies booster is given before the 3 years are up, there is no need for a repeat blood test.
Good news indeed - our French vet charges 50 euros a time for a couple of worm tabs and some spot-on!! Hopefully responsible owners will be able to do this themselves in future.

Get a bit p'eed off at having to pay for the mutt on the ferry, esp when he has to stay in the car. £30 to scan a microchip is a bit steep in my book. (For the record tho - Seafrance only charge £20)
That's why, even though my dog has the passport thingy, I won't be bothering and have friends look after her when I visit England!

Forastero

LE
Ta for that. Charges grip my shite as well. Eurotunnel charges 15 notes each way which is daylight robbery frankly, it's not as if they do anything if you know what I mean. I prefer the train because you can take the beast out and not leave him in a stuffy car some decks below. Trouble is, Doris likes going on the ferry 'because you can see stuff' but I really don't like leaving windows open on my car so said beast can breathe. I believe some ferries actually have kennels that you can stick your mutt in but not been on one of those yet.

It seems that the Tick treatment will not be necessary from 1st January but will be an advisory

The Tape worm treatment is a different matter. This is
Under consideration at European level
More gen HERE

Trouble is, Doris likes going on the ferry 'because you can see stuff'
We used the Tunnel and when I told Mrs Bonzo that some Cod had just gone past the window she nearly threw one :)

Ta for that. Charges grip my shite as well. Eurotunnel charges 15 notes each way which is daylight robbery frankly, it's not as if they do anything if you know what I mean. I prefer the train because you can take the beast out and not leave him in a stuffy car some decks below. Trouble is, Doris likes going on the ferry 'because you can see stuff' but I really don't like leaving windows open on my car so said beast can breathe. I believe some ferries actually have kennels that you can stick your mutt in but not been on one of those yet.
I wrote an email to Eurotunnel ref this and their exchange rates:
Please can you tell me why I would have to pay an additional £30 for my dog to travel with me, when the booking is for a vehicle, with the passengers not paying any extra! I quote your FAQ section: "Our tickets are purchased per vehicle, irrespective of the number of passengers travelling in your vehicle. The details of those passengers travelling in your vehicle are only required if you have purchased personal travel insurance. To amend your travel insurance please contact us on 08443 35 35 35." Also, please explain why you are charging so much more than the exchange rate, when converting to Euros! ie £30 is (just now) approximitely 35€ and not the 46€ your website is quoting!! I look forward to your responce to my questions.
And this was their 'answer':
Dear Mr Recce19, Thank you for email of 14 September. I would like to refer you to the following link on the website giving information about travelling with your pet:- Pet Travel Scheme - France and mainland Europe - Eurotunnel Le Shuttle It may help to explain a little about what is put in behind the scenes in order for us to be able to allow your pet to travel with you on our service. As an approved Defra route and transporter, Eurotunnel Le Shuttle are required to comply with Defra's directive to carry out mandatory checks on all pets travelling under the scheme. The pet charge goes towards maintaining the building, heating, lighting, etc. as well as the training and provision of dedicated Eurotunnel Le Shuttle staff members to carry out the checks and ensure that your pet meets the necessary criteria to travel. We receive no funding from Defra to provide these checks which are necessary if we wish to maintain our license for transporting pets. Eurotunnel Le Shuttle is the market leader for the Pets Passport Scheme. Defra's figures show that 48% of all pets entering the UK choose us for their crossing. Our customers tell us one of the reasons for this is that we are unique in allowing you to stay with your pet in your vehicle. Having said all that we continually look for ways in which we can improve the facilities we offer. From the research we have carried out, our pet exercise areas are far superior to any of those offered by our competitors, however we still plan to make these larger and more pet friendly, you should see these improvements during 2012. We provide a pets lounge at our Calais Terminal, again we are looking to extend this due to the increase in demand and our desire to make this as comfortable as possible for our human and pet customers. Sometimes the value of a product can not be realised until a problem occurs and the support required from our staff is put to test. We receive many positive comments from our customers who have experienced a problem and have called upon this assistance. I note your comment in respect of the difference in price depending on the currency in which payment is made. Our prices in Sterling and Euros are set for a fixed period, and it would be impractical to keep changing prices to keep up with differences in the exchange rate. These prices will not change, despite fluctuations in the exchange rate, until Eurotunnel's next pricing review. If it is more advantageous for you at any particular time, you may pay for your tickets in Sterling, via our Contact Centre. Alternatively, when making a booking online if you select the United Kingdom as country of residence, prices displayed will be in Pounds Sterling, regardless of address entered. However, please bear in mind that any payment made using a bank card, will be subject to its own charging rates for currency conversion. I very much hope that we are able to welcome both you and your pet when you next travel with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle. Kind regards, Alistair Walton Passenger Customer Relations Fax: 01303 272690 E-mail: customer.relations@eurotunnel.com
*******! :evil:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yes i've looked into this before and I didn't like the look of the 'kennels' I'll be going on the tunnel because of this.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The rules for the Pet Passport are changing for 2012: From 1st January, you still have to have your animal vaccinated but do not have to have the blood test. You merely have to ensure that the vaccination is done a minimum of 21 days before you travel. You also have to ensure that the vaccination is recorded in a Pet Passport.
No word on returning to the UK about the Tick and Tape treatment yet on the DEFRA website - so it looks like the French vets will still keep their nice little earner
I've been awaiting this since I'd sedated my dog twice to let the vet get anywhere near him, first time Diazepam 20mg made him lose all inhibitions and he thought he could fight ten men. The seceond sedative Acepromazine worked and it's taken me six months to get the bloody passport back!
I'd like to see a Vet get worming tablets in him though because I can't 'Drontal flavour' anyone hazard the guess of the flavour because they taste vile. If a dog swallows them they can't have any taste buds.

Building, heating and lighting my arse. Spaniel sits in the bloody car just like us mortal humans, sod all extra there. Training for staff? Here, read that and press this. Job done. The revenue they must make from the pets scheme must be quite substantial when you consider the costs of taking your pet is nearly two thirds of a weekend break for a CAR and X adults. Quick break in Belgium, £48. Extra person in your car? £0. Dog? Oooh lovely, that'll be £30 please.

FFS.

Building, heating and lighting my arse. Spaniel sits in the bloody car just like us mortal humans, sod all extra there. Training for staff? Here, read that and press this. Job done. The revenue they must make from the pets scheme must be quite substantial when you consider the costs of taking your pet is nearly two thirds of a weekend break for a CAR and X adults. Quick break in Belgium, £48. Extra person in your car? £0. Dog? Oooh lovely, that'll be £30 please.

FFS.
Exactly my thoughts as well!

It would be interesting if, as my g/f said, they did exactly the same for providing - by law - amenities for the disabled!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

FFS.
They know they are on to a winner because you can stay with the dog and many owners would rather do that. Dog owners are likely to have money so they grab it, just the same as campsites charging extra.

I'd like to see a Vet get worming tablets in him though because I can't 'Drontal flavour' anyone hazard the guess of the flavour because they taste vile. If a dog swallows them they can't have any taste buds.
My mutt would sell her soul for a piece of cheese ergo I give her tablets in a little piece. :)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My mutt would sell her soul for a piece of cheese ergo I give her tablets in a little piece. :)
Tried that and raw beef. Won't sit still for me to ram them down his throat either. I tried covering them in simple linctus which works fine for tablets that don't taste so horrible. It's hard to find out if other brands don't taste as bad.

I don't know what the French vet gave Digger but it looked like a piece of chocolate. He wolfed it down

Tried that and raw beef. Won't sit still for me to ram them down his throat either. I tried covering them in simple linctus which works fine for tablets that don't taste so horrible. It's hard to find out if other brands don't taste as bad.
Try rolling it up in cheap leberwürst my head case loves the stuff

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Try rolling it up in cheap leberwürst my head case loves the stuff
I might have to drug him to worm him. I'll look at other brands as he's wise to drontal plus now. I imagine he can smell them. Other tablets he'll take fairly easily with some simple linctus poured on.

I doubt it was 'proper' chocolate, it's highly toxic to dogs especially plain chocolate.

I might have to drug him to worm him. I'll look at other brands as he's wise to drontal plus now. I imagine he can smell them. Other tablets he'll take fairly easily with some simple linctus poured on.
You may well be right about them smelling the medication.Our Vet said "Oh its very easy to administer, you just force his mouthopen pop the pill in and hold his mouth closed untill he swallows!" Yeah OK you try it with a kin siht scared Ridgeback that dont like pills!