Changes to Royal Navy's surface fleet announced

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Dec 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. I think this justifies a site wide rule change, no longer 'The Andrew' just Andy or the alternative 'Woodbine'.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The Largs Bay was only commissioned 4 years ago.
    Looks like Royal will be getting to objectives, like the Cockshell Heroes, in rubber dingys.
    A least Fort George & Bayleaf are a lot older & I suppose we don't need refuelers when we don't have very much that can go deep sea.

Edit cos I can't count.

4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

All expected really except Largs Bay, it's only 4 years old FFS.

5. Couldn't send our "fleet" up against much opposition these days anyway, what with no carrier to provide air cover.

6. Chile has an urgent need for a ship of this type.

Coincidence?

7. One of my mates was just telling me how he was going from a 22 to Lusty. He's a bit buggered now. Dont know what he'll do instead.

8. I don't think we're planning to do so really. Where would we want to fight our Trafalgar and why? The RN has - sadly? - become something of a taxi service and support arm for ground forces.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Come back in thirty years' time - you don't know what games will be afoot then and nor do I. But I do know we need to preserve the full fighting range of maritime warfare technologies; and warships are long-lead-time-items. We have probably already lost all knowledge of how to run a flight deck with a pukka air group at war tempo. I reckon thatby the time F35C eventually arrives there will not be a single junior officer or junior rating with the least idea of how to play their part in a fighting carrier. Employing land animals as visiting firemen, with no feel for the fact that the air group is an integral part of the ship's weapon system, was discredited in the thirties.

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Now, now Seaweed don't you go using common sense around here.
    You know the Boy Dave don't loik it.

11. Very good point, but I'm unconvinced that officer training cannot teach junior officers at least enough of the principles of fighting with shiny stuff that they'll be able to do it should they find themselves needing to in thirty years time (at which point, let us remember, every single one of the RN's current ships will have been replaced not to mention the strategic world map will look completely different).

12. But Lusty stays until 2014.... Queen Elizabeth enter service in the middle of the decade - 2015?

Therefore most of the decade we should have a ship capable of embarking fixed wing aircraft - even if they are US, Italian, Spanish, Indian, or Thai ones. If the forward Phalanx was removed from Ocean, then maybe she can embark Harriers too - notwithstanding her lack of speed and reliability issues. I read somewhere that Ocean will get a £100 million refit - that's a lot of work.

Also, see: Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers". - Page 9 - PPRuNe Forums