Changes to requirements for Ex-Regulars?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Just got off a phone call with our RTT , who inform me the rules regarding Ex-Regulars undertaking retraining on joining the TA has changed.

The old gap as far as I remember was 18 months from leaving Regular service to joining TA. I've just been told this has been amended to SIX YEARS.

As I understand it, if a Regular Soldier has completed Regular Phase 1 in the last 6 years , then he can be taken on board without recourse to retraining and badged after basic tests.

My Coy RTT are trying to get confirmation on this, but does anyone know if this is the case? To say it would help immensely is an understatement!

2. msr

msr LE

I thought it was 3 years. Can your ROSO not help?

msr

3. RTT have sent a message to ROSO as far as I know MSR , I should have a confirmation or denial by tomorrow night.

Obviously I'd like to know sooner because I'm putting together another recruiting PPT ;)

4. msr

msr LE

Well, seeing how these things go, it will probably be changed by the time you deliver it ;)

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

PTP,

PM for you

Duke

6. Duke, seen and replied. Many thanks :D

7. CO's discretion surely? After basic tests of said ex-reg, as long as he/she passes them, straight in. Happened to me after being out the regs for 11 years!

8. If its not true it ought to be, its hard enough getting people in as it is without making things unnecessarily difficult for those who could be very useful for the TA.

9. i'm ex reg i left in 2004 and joined up no bother last year with me doing no training or anything just a medical and kit issue. i got told it was six years when i joined

10. Left in 2001 (infantry), a 2-week CIC was requested for me to complete. No drama though.

11. Only supposed to do Basic once. Ex Regs can join TA up to 6 years after leaving without having to do any trg.
    Anytime after that dispensation must be sought from ARTD through the COC. There is a letter out about this, was written a couple of years ago, afraid I can't remeber who originated it but it would make sense that it was ARTD.
    If you show that personnel in this position can pass their MATT then I would expect that dispensation would be a formality.

12. Posted this a while back in another thread - may still be relevant :

13. I was out for 9 years (left Regulars in Dec 1999), rejoined TA in Sep 2008. OC Signed a Waiver, no basic (CMSR).... passed all MATTs with higher scores than most of the TA people who had been there for years and had been given up to date training.....

Now trying to persuade them I dont have to go back through all that laborious trade traning, and waiting for long periods for promotion....

14. also everyone wishing to join the TA with previous service (either reg or TA) has to submit a form 203 (special enlistment) to Glasgow. just more paperwork to fill out.....