• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Changes to requirements for Ex-Regulars?

Hi all,

Just got off a phone call with our RTT , who inform me the rules regarding Ex-Regulars undertaking retraining on joining the TA has changed.

The old gap as far as I remember was 18 months from leaving Regular service to joining TA. I've just been told this has been amended to SIX YEARS.

As I understand it, if a Regular Soldier has completed Regular Phase 1 in the last 6 years , then he can be taken on board without recourse to retraining and badged after basic tests.

My Coy RTT are trying to get confirmation on this, but does anyone know if this is the case? To say it would help immensely is an understatement!

PartTimePongo said:
Hi all,

Just got off a phone call with our RTT , who inform me the rules regarding Ex-Regulars undertaking retraining on joining the TA has changed.

The old gap as far as I remember was 18 months from leaving Regular service to joining TA. I've just been told this has been amended to SIX YEARS.

As I understand it, if a Regular Soldier has completed Regular Phase 1 in the last 6 years , then he can be taken on board without recourse to retraining and badged after basic tests.

My Coy RTT are trying to get confirmation on this, but does anyone know if this is the case? To say it would help immensely is an understatement!
I thought it was 3 years. Can your ROSO not help?

msr

RTT have sent a message to ROSO as far as I know MSR , I should have a confirmation or denial by tomorrow night.

Obviously I'd like to know sooner because I'm putting together another recruiting PPT ;)

PartTimePongo said:
RTT have sent a message to ROSO as far as I know MSR , I should have a confirmation or denial by tomorrow night.

Obviously I'd like to know sooner because I'm putting together another recruiting PPT ;)
Well, seeing how these things go, it will probably be changed by the time you deliver it ;)

CO's discretion surely? After basic tests of said ex-reg, as long as he/she passes them, straight in. Happened to me after being out the regs for 11 years!

If its not true it ought to be, its hard enough getting people in as it is without making things unnecessarily difficult for those who could be very useful for the TA.

i'm ex reg i left in 2004 and joined up no bother last year with me doing no training or anything just a medical and kit issue. i got told it was six years when i joined

Only supposed to do Basic once. Ex Regs can join TA up to 6 years after leaving without having to do any trg.
Anytime after that dispensation must be sought from ARTD through the COC. There is a letter out about this, was written a couple of years ago, afraid I can't remeber who originated it but it would make sense that it was ARTD.
If you show that personnel in this position can pass their MATT then I would expect that dispensation would be a formality.

Posted this a while back in another thread - may still be relevant :

Me said:
Oooh I know this one! May I draw your attention too DIN01-014 :

the gist is you can join the TA after leaving regular service and be granted a relaxed call out liability for 3 years from the date of the termination of your regular service ( meaning you cant be mobilised unless you ask for 3 years after you leave). You also get a reduced training requirement ( differnet MATT requirements) , this is mainly aimed at people who are sorting thier lives out I recon though , if youre keen you can do as much as you like.

Bit relevant to the origional poster : This scheme applies to any soldier even if he does not join the TA in his origional capbadge or trade , you can also apply for FTRS and/or mobilisation, but that will void the 3 years "grace" period if you choose to do so. You will also be eligible for bounty on the basis of the reduced training requirements.

So bar the 3 months pay issuse I recon youre in buisness mate.

I was out for 9 years (left Regulars in Dec 1999), rejoined TA in Sep 2008. OC Signed a Waiver, no basic (CMSR).... passed all MATTs with higher scores than most of the TA people who had been there for years and had been given up to date training.....

Now trying to persuade them I dont have to go back through all that laborious trade traning, and waiting for long periods for promotion....

also everyone wishing to join the TA with previous service (either reg or TA) has to submit a form 203 (special enlistment) to Glasgow. just more paperwork to fill out.....

Latest Threads