Changes to LOA July 2021

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt
There will be changes to LOA this year in case anyone hasn't seen the announcement.

Details here.

Overview

From 1 July 2021, the way in which the Armed Forces’ Local Overseas Allowance (LOA) is calculated will be changing. The changes will make the allowance more transparent, fairer to all service personnel, and improve oversight. They do not impact eligibility or other allowances and are not a saving measure but designed to be cost neutral.

The changes are the result of a thorough review of the current methodology, in place since 1981, which has taken more than three years to complete. One of the most significant changes will be the introduction of a single band for all service personnel regardless of rank, removing the previous rank-based banding system. We hope this will be positive for many armed forces personnel, especially those of lower ranks or with young families.

The new methodology is based on commercially available data used by multi-national corporations like Shell and BP, as well as the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), and is needs-based. This modernisation means service personnel will see changes to the rates of LOA, which could increase, although some will decrease depending on the current rank-related level they receive and the location they serve. This new transparent system means the amount offered to service personnel will not be associated to rank. Rates will be published in June 2021. The changes will be fully implemented over a three-year transition period.

Remember troops, it's 'not a saving measure' :jocolor:

15 years ago I was on £50 a day LOA in Canada, an equivalent singly was on £6.

I feel it important to maintain this difference to allow singlies to whinge like a busted siren and for pads to mock them like the losers they are.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The word fairer coming from MOD invokes the following image

1612199411082.png

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
"are not a saving measure but designed to be cost neutral."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There will be changes to LOA this year in case anyone hasn't seen the announcement.

Details here.

Overview

From 1 July 2021, the way in which the Armed Forces’ Local Overseas Allowance (LOA) is calculated will be changing. The changes will make the allowance more transparent, fairer to all service personnel, and improve oversight. They do not impact eligibility or other allowances and are not a saving measure but designed to be cost neutral.

The changes are the result of a thorough review of the current methodology, in place since 1981, which has taken more than three years to complete. One of the most significant changes will be the introduction of a single band for all service personnel regardless of rank, removing the previous rank-based banding system. We hope this will be positive for many armed forces personnel, especially those of lower ranks or with young families.

The new methodology is based on commercially available data used by multi-national corporations like Shell and BP, as well as the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), and is needs-based. This modernisation means service personnel will see changes to the rates of LOA, which could increase, although some will decrease depending on the current rank-related level they receive and the location they serve. This new transparent system means the amount offered to service personnel will not be associated to rank. Rates will be published in June 2021. The changes will be fully implemented over a three-year transition period.

Remember troops, it's 'not a saving measure' :jocolor:
Cost neutral? Aye right.

Although I'm sure it changed a few years ago from individual ranks to grouping of rank.

15 years ago I was on £50 a day LOA in Canada, an equivalent singly was on £6.

I feel it important to maintain this difference to allow singlies to whinge like a busted siren and for pads to mock them like the losers they are.
15 years ago all the singlies were down the Sin Bin getting a nosh while you were stuck in your house

15 years ago all the singlies were down the Sin Bin getting a nosh while you were stuck in your house

The sin bin had been shut for a number of years by then.

The sin bin had been shut for a number of years by then.
It was open when I was there in 2006.
I remember because when I walked in I was given a flyer, advertising 10% off furniture from some store.
******* weirdos.

I arrived in 2006 and was told the current Mayor (or whatever they are called) had shut the place years before.

I arrived in 2006 and was told the current Mayor (or whatever they are called) had shut the place years before.

I heard that as well, either it wasnt true or they reopened it.

Either way it was a shithole full of "big boned" women.

I heard that as well, either it wasnt true or they reopened it.

Either way it was a shithole full of "big boned" women.

I was never interested in the place, being PS i was allowed in Ralphs.

I was never interested in the place, being PS i was allowed in Ralphs.

Hmmm steaks or sluts & booze, choices, choices.

Rank agnostic means that those OF3s upwards staying in because of the extra money abroad will be offski. Not that that isn't a good thing, but somehow I doubt MOD will be able to fill the holes quick enough.

Rank agnostic means that those OF3s upwards staying in because of the extra money abroad will be offski. Not that that isn't a good thing, but somehow I doubt MOD will be able to fill the holes quick enough.
From my friends that I have spoken to (Capt-Lt Col) OF3 upwards are more likely to be staying in because of the pension, rather than LOA alone.

Last edited:
Most postings abroad (bar Cyprus and Canada) have local hirings rather than pads quarters. They have tax free purchases including booze, fags and cars.
They are likely to be eligible for CEA or any international schools for their kids.
The quality of life tends to better as well.
I doubt anyone will leave over LOA.

Don't forget the boarding school allowance. Harrow is not cheap you know.
CEA is around 22k per kid, Harrow is around 42k without any extras, I doubt anyone except VSOs could afford it.