Changes in war material & Patterns of Mil stores. - L of C

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Feb 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

For the true military train spotters amongst you I now have access to a set of List of Changes dating from 1888 to the 1950's.

A very good research source for changes to most military stores and equipment.

Should any of you know the reference and want a copy of the entry let me know.

If you want some research in particular area then, for a modest fee, send me a message and I'll do my best.

Thank you.

I may even publish a random entry from time to time for your enjoyment. :)

2. General Melchett

List dated 1st September, 1913.

Para 16507

Bag, sand, special - New pattern

9th June, 1913

"Jute bagging; 2 feet 9 inches by 1 foot 2 inches. A pattern of the above-mentioned store has been sealed to govern future supplies, which are restricted to Shoeburyness. It differs from that described in ~5378 in being made from common undyed jute material which is not rot-proof."

Fascinating reading. :twisted:

3. Melchy old man, I utterly implore you to join a club or get out more.

Does it mention the length and width of string used to tie said bag? If you could find the answer I would be extremely gratefull. :D

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The LOC are what a lot of the UK research is started on by those in the HBSA studying for Full Voting status. It is a serious companion to military historical research and has been used as an aid to correcting historical detail and giving timelines for research historians! Good work and keep it up!

5. General Melchett

Although a quote from the LoC it was intended as tongue in cheek. Obviously hunour is lost on you.

The LoC are a valuable research source for military historians.

6. Your right of course Ugly, I mean were else would you find that you need 1 grn of "carded wool" as packing between bullet and powder for your Snider, although I suspect that propellant weights used in the LoC may not be a good thing to follow exactly.

I think it was the home office that started the threat regarding research and the ownership of firearms, I was certainly "lightly quizzed" by my last visit from a firearms (civvie) officer regarding headstamps on .303 ammunition and I still don't know whether I was being tested in a gentle manner or he really was interested.
    Lucky for me that my library continues to grow when I can afford it.

7. Melchy old man, no hurt intended. Did I tell you of my interest in campaign furniture? Now if that got out I would be ridiculed in the street!
    Sadly I only have one chair in the collection at the moment as most of it is now beyond my pocket.

8. General Melchett

List dated 1st October, 1883.

Para 4381

Tub, washing, iron, galvanized, 8 gallons

4th June, 1883

"A pattern of the above-mentioned article has been sealed to govern future manufacture. It is intended to supersede the present wooden tubs of 12 and 8 gallons, no more of which will be made, but the existing store will be used up."

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I like the bits where the LOC's are catching up with manufacturing realities such as moving to the Mk111* from the plain Mk111 SMLE. If you have access to company records there is a certain amount of to and fro ing regarding approvals for this and authority for the WD inspectors to allow them to stamp acceptance markings onto the new models.

Tis a big anorak

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Actually I would like to know about rifles and when the move from No4 to 5 was made, when the No5 was witdrawn, on what scale and date the L8 was issued and withdrawn and finally the introduction of the L1 SLR to L1A1. In your own time carry on.

serious that is please!
    I just would like dates etc and what conditions/scales of issue etc. Also to be honest the move to the patchet during korea and what mark of sten was officially in place and when?

11. General Melchett

OK, due to a lack of main index it may take me a while to look up but I'll do my best for you.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

many thanks!

13. I'd be interested in when various flute models were sanctioned for use in the army. May incorrectly be down as fifes, possibly also piccolo.

Noduf (just to mix threads)

Nowah (just because I can)

14. General Melchett

List dated 1st May, 1904.

Para 12131

Nets, forage, pair. (Mark II.)

11th March, 1904

"With reference to ~8330 :- The above-mentioned "Nets, forage," being no longer required are hereby declared obsolete. Those in possession of troops should be returned to store for disposal.

15. General Melchett - Please tell the great unwashed what the feck are "Nets, forage"

:)