Changes in "Last 50+"

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by viceroy, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear Admins: This happend over the last 2 weeks or so, I saw an announcement but could not find a post re this particular matter:

There used to be multiple pages of Last 50+ (three or four) and there used to be a mouseover funtion that displayed the content of every thread starter, both functions are sadly missed, are they going to come back? Also, there used to be an option to get into the 2nd, 3rd etc. branch of a threat, that is also gone, is this permanent?
  2. I miss the "mouse over" bit, but not the multiple "top 50" pages. 1 long page is far better IMO.
  3. Agreed, what I mean is that I feel there used to be many more posts over 3-4 pages than what is displayed on this one page, no?
  4. I don't know? I never counted them ;)
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Since the move to the new site until a couple of weeks ago Last 50 was actually just a search for posts since midnight. As of the last 2 weeks it is very similar to the true Last 50 of the old site. You are therefore correct, until a couple of weeks ago Last 50 was paged and after about 6 in the morning held more results. The trade off was that you had to wait for the search index to update - every 5 minutes - so it wasn't bang up to date and it was slower.

I don't know what you mean by 'a second, third branch of a thread'. You'll need to spell that out a bit more.

Mouseover we could do, but every widget I add slows it down and we have already lost the near-instant response by adding in read/not read highlighting and something else that I can't quite remember, but was requested in the other thread on the subject. Everything is a trade off!

To cheer you up though, you can get exactly the function of the Last 50 of the past couple of months by using the advanced search.

I hope that clarifies / helps.
  6. Thanks Good Co. What I mean are subsequent pages to a thread (up to 20 posts on first page, post 21-40 second page etc). There used to an option (indicated on the 1st post with 1,2,3,4, etc) to go to e.g. the last page of a particular thread to see the most recent comment. Now this involves opening the thread, then chosing the desired page if the thread is longer than 20 posts, hence takes longer and involves another step, hope this clarifies.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

To go to the last post just click on one of the two arrow images that are shown in each row, exactly like before, and the normal search and I think also similar to the old site.

Paging though - would you ever want to go from Last 50 to anything other than the first or last post? Not very often I think. I think you are the first person to comment on that so it can't be an issue for the majority.
  8. Good one Good CO, cheers. Suppose you are right, never tried the arrows, that will do for me. Mouseover was useful because often titles do not give away much of the content, I end up opening threads I wouldn't have openend, had I read the first couple of lines of the initial post. If I am the first one to bring it up, nevermind.
  9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No, you're not the first to bring up the mouseover and I'm open to persuasion on that. You're the first to bring up paging - ie. having 1,2,3,4 etc under the thread title. Personally I think it's needless clutter as first/last is enough 99% of the time. It would just make the page longer and busier.

Like I said though, you can get all of this using the advanced search so nothing is lost. The problem, just like the Last 50 you're referring to is that you can't easily bookmark it.
  10. Just want to add .... mouseover was very useful. It let you know instantly if a post called, for example, 'Old Bangers', was about rusty Cortinas, stale sausages or, more promisingly, elderly slappers, and therefore saved the time involved in loading the relevant page and then, once disappointed, having to reload the 'last 50' again.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK. I'll get that added on. If it slows it significantly we can always take it off again.