Changes Affecting Overseas Customers SPVA

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by davewhit, Mar 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Changes Affecting Overseas Customers

From 01 April 2013, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office will no longer act on SPVA’s behalf for overseas customers. This means that customers living in the affected countries will not be able to obtain help from the British Embassy or Consulate with war pension claims or payments.

If you live in one of these countries, from April 1st you will need to send any claims for a refund of treatment costs directly to SPVA instead of sending them to the Embassy or Consulate. We will refund any approved costs directly into your bank account.

Customers living in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA are unaffected by the changes. They can continue to use the facilities provided by our overseas agents for all services.

If you have any queries about the changes, you can contact us on our Helpline number +44 1253 866043. You can also e-mail us at veterans.help@spva.gsi.gov.uk, or write to us at the address below:
    Service Personnel and Veterans Agency FREEPOST NAT18006 Norcross Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, UK FY5 3ZA (1st Class) FY5 3ZZ (2nd Class)

• Like Like x 1
  2. The contract for Embassies was in fact ended March 2011, not March 2013, but the SPVA continued to make WPs use Embassies until March 2013. I've yet to receive an explanation why. It's caused many unnecessary delays in my getting expenses which I'm entitled to.
    I've now received some of those 'expenses'. Unfortunately the money has been deposited in to my UK bank and, as yet, I've received no explanation as to it's make-up. I did ask them to deposit the 'expenses' in to my Thai bank.
    Another point is that all my 'expenses' were paid out personally by me in Thai Baht. I have no knowledge at what exchange rate the SPVA used. And to bring the money to here is going to cost me money. Now if the SPVA were still using the Embassies then the Embassy would refund me direct in Thai baht, I wouldn't lose.
    Sorry, but the SPVA stinks in my book. It doesn't matter which way you turn, they'll obstruct you.