Change the law!?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tango34_UK, Dec 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 'Today' programme on BBC Radio 4 is running 'The Christmas Repeal' poll. This invites listeners to nominate the law that they would most like to taken off the statute book.

Please use this opportunity to vote for the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act. This would have the effect of removing the UK from the European Union.

To vote, please visit and encourage all your friends to do likewise.The most popular choice will be announced on New Years Day.

The BBC plans to invite a sitting MP to present the result to the House of Commons.

2. Done!
    Could you let me know if i gets picked (Im not a R4 listner)

3. It really isn't that simple to leave the EU, maybe you should think this one through a bit more and look at the reality of the situation.

I voted for the repeal of the Higher Education Bill 2004 introducing top up fees into Higher education.
  4. My vote would be for the Law of Property Acts in its various guises. They are a joke and are probably the object of much ridicule amongst property lawyers worldwide.
  5. So, on your reccomendation I would be voting to:

· Remove the rights and freedoms of men/women/employers/employees provided under the EC Treaty.
    · Disolve the common market and increase the number of trade barriers between states.
    · Re-write all the secondary legislation made pursuant to the EC Treaty.
    · Prevent the free movement of goods, persons, provision of services and capital.
    · Stop the protection offered under the terms of Competition Law, which prevents large businesses from economically strangling smaller ones, and dominating the marketplace.

I am not a card carrying EU supporter, but I would need a bit more convincing that some vacant rambling, no doubt based on a misaligned view of the purpose of the EU.
  6. Actually the current legislation (LRa 2002) isn't too bad it is difficult to learn but the new act sorts out a lot of problems. Still boring as feck though.
  7. Yes It is an incredibly boring (and rather complicated) subject! What I cannot get my head around is why it takes more than 75 years to get properties registered?
  8. Repeal the abolishment of hanging

obviously I mean the death sentence not just like going next door and stringing your neighbour up!!
  9. Human Rights Act. Managed without it for thousands of years. The only rights it appears to protect are the loonies, litigious or members of our population who don't have any right to remain under other UK laws.
  10. Human Rights Act. I can't believe anything else is even being considered. No other law, with the possible exception of the aboltion of the death penality, has done so much damage to this country.
    The HRA is a nonces, terrorist's and drug-dealer's charter. Blair singing us up to it was an act of Treason.
  11. It was ratified in the 50's, all Blair has done has made it enforeceable in UK courts.

Personally I don't think it's a bad thing that a person should have a right to life... etc. After all it was the abuses in WW2 that brought it about, and I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion as to whether we should return to that era.

However, I do agree that it has been used to the advantage of the criminal in some cases - but they would have been able to take advantage of it anyway irrespective of whether it was enforceable or not in UK courts, it would just take longer and be more expensive.

In any event the courts and the government are two separate entities, and using the government to remove HRA from the UK statute books will not displce the courts abilility to rely on it.

Wasted vote - as it won't make any ulitmate difference.
  12. The "only one wife" law would be a good one to get rid of.