Change of the Home link

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Disco, Jul 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CO`s,

When clicking on Home I get the "ghey" intro screen rather than the main page of top 10 posts and site menu!

Intentional or a mistake...

Either way, highly annoying... stop messing with my Arrse!!!

2. Phnar, Phnar!!
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Use the "site index" link on the top left. Sorry about the change, but the home link has to point to the home page (ie if we're to get the best search engine results.

Major changes will stop relatively shortly as I'm coming to the end of my "balls out on ARRSE" stage.
  4. SEEN!!

That will do instead :)

5. it stays the same as before using firefox GCO
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Next time you clear your browser cache it will update (manually ctrl-f5). Sorry!
  7. I could see your point about the search engine results..... if ARRSE needed them. Everyone knows where their ARRSE is and such a subtle change does make navigation around the site a lot less comfortable. We do like our ARRSE to be comnfortable, as I'm sure you do.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I reckon you'll get use to it in about oohh.. 5 minutes :)
  9. I for one liked the scrolling gallery, i could see if there had been additions with out too much fuss, but then i am lucky having a fast connection. Is there no way for the user to turn it on and off??

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No not that I know of. I quite liked it too. Then I decided to do a check of page loadin times and discovered quite how much 56k users must have suffered - first time at least until things were cached. Problem bring that with changing pictures, that doesn't work of course. I founf a few other odds and sods too - we've still got some 30kB avatars / signatures kicking about, which I need to sort.

Being on a 1400px wide screen and broad band makes me forget about the old days of 56k and 800x600, and there are still plenty suffering. Try the front page in 800x600. It's a nightmare. Cured some PM page issue today that will help them though.
  11. Cheers anyway,was just a thought, i am lucky with 4.6meg so never noticed page loading speeds,sometimes would miss the pics as they went through quite quick.

Perhaps you could have 2 sub index pages, one for fast conection and one for dial up?? not wishing to give you more work to do though,sorry.

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Now that is not such a bad idea, although perhaps over complicating. Head scratch tomorrow. Beer then bed now I think. 'Night all.