Change Of Royal Signals Cap Badge

i heard a rumour that they are going to change the cap badge to a bolt of lightning with wings as of april 08 . has anyone else heard of this?

Traditionaly a bolt of lightning was used by Recce regiments, and wings by airborne/airforce. I think someone is winding you up mate

The-Daddy said:
Traditionaly a bolt of lightning was used by Recce regiments, and wings by airborne/airforce. I think someone is winding you up mate
However.......

According to APP6 (NATO map marking symbology standard - current version is A) a bolt of lightning signifies a comms unit. Can't think of any relevance to wings though.

I also think it's a wind up though.

Did someone from TCW start this rumour; it sounds about as accurate as their website.

Wings could represent mercuries winged helmet, feet and staff?

Seriously, the Canadian Signals have two bolts of electricity either side of jimmy, but wouldn't the new signals capbadge be a little too close to the REME one?

Wind up me thinks. (Or the first step to a purpleised signals branch.)

Sounds like a wind up. That badge would look suspiciously like the RN radio ops badge - flying bullshit struck by lightning

Will they be changing the motto to:
“Message….What fcuking message?” :D

greenmachine said:
i heard a rumour that they are going to change the cap badge to a bolt of lightning with wings as of april 08 . has anyone else heard of this?
Ladies and gents, its is a rumour service - and on the fishing for a bite scales this is a goodun. Utter bunch of arrse, but well done for your effort.

Can't believe anyone would actually believe that. Oh dear.

In other news I was reading the dictionary and I noticed the word gullible wasn't in there. Check it out for yourselves I was shocked to say the least.

Just to continue this thread in the manner in which it was intended......

Mind you the Corps is v good at dispensing with whatever bit of custom and heritage it ever had. They gave away Cateract from where they were founded and dispensed with the rank of Signalman just because we recruited female soldiers. So why should Jimmy survive?

Spliff-Boy said:
Did someone from TCW start this rumour; it sounds about as accurate as their website.
We used to refer to them as NTNCNW (the N standing for Non) for obvious reasons. They thought they were something special with their gucci off the shelf kit but booked into the nearest Hilton at the first sign of rain. Stinkin smelly crabs.

I refuse to bite, but only on the fact that i can only remember 2 hotels in 16 dets....... But if the aircraft have to fly from Italy to the Balkans, My rank isnt high enough to argue........

Why "NTNCNW"? They were a wing after all.

Still grips my sh1t today that our Corps' Rank, the flag of the Corps', is "Signaller". What a bunch of tonk. Signaller? Are we some Non Signals wallah with some flags on his arm? NO, we are Signalmen. They couldn't even come up with "Royal Signaller" that would have been half right.

The REME managed to keep "Craftsman" FFS.

PC K n o b s

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:
Still grips my sh1t today that our Corps' Rank, the flag of the Corps', is "Signaller". What a bunch of tonk. Signaller? Are we some Non Signals wallah with some flags on his arm? NO, we are Signalmen. They couldn't even come up with "Royal Signaller" that would have been half right.

The REME managed to keep "Craftsman" FFS.

PC K n o b s
Was there ever actually any official change or has this simply mutated by convention (early 1990's)? Wasn't Signalman the rank and Signaller a job (i.e. Platoon sgnaller etc.). I have always referred to private soldiers in the R.Signals as Signalman and whenever someone picks me up on it I point out that I've never heard the titles for Foreman or Yeoman of Signals to be altered when a female held the post so why the Toms?

I'm sorry to say that this sounds like the sort of re-branding exercise that would put the RAF and New Labour to shame.

Next thing will be G6 have become G36 :wink: